Any ideas? Flat spot and hot exhaust...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonova

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Hey all.
Okay...so here's the story:
Serviced my 950 ... Clearances and took out all the EPC and SAS lines and put on block off plates.
After that the bike ran like shit...I'd forgotten to attach the damn vacuum tube block off on the carbs. Anyway...sorted that and the bike ran a little better but still not great ...turned out the fuel I had put in was ancient...dumbass. Sorted that and now the bike runs well.... Apart from a slight flat spot around 5000rpm... And I just realized that the front cylinder (right exhaust) is running hotter than the left side.... 

Now my question is this.... What can cause the one cylinder to run lean? It wasn't like that before as far as I remember. I did nothing to the carbs internals...didn't open them at all.
Can a vacuum leak cause that?
And where would be the obvious source? Block off plates? Carb vacuum tubes? Tubes used to balance the carbs?

I've checked and rechecked all the vacuum lines.... The ones used for balancing, the block off from the removed EPC and SAS lines. I did balance the carbs..... But that was on the old fuel....but in my mind the flat spot can be caused by unbalanced carbs maybe...but not the hot exhaust?
The carbs are properly seated...no kinks in the rubber boots
The bike is possibly a little low on power....but it's slight.
Oh....and it seems to backfire on deceleration....more than it did before....
Any ideas ???. Please let me know. I'm a little tired of stripping the damn thing. I rechecked the clearances even....just in case I messed something up....but nope ... all right.
And she starts fine and idles hundreds.

Latest posts