HOT FUEL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
On very hot days 28+ degrees and spirited riding I get ( running out of fuel ) stumbling on idle , feels like the bike is not fuelling properly . happen on a hard ride from Graaf reinette and again 2 weeks ago in Lesotho . When coming to a stop the idle stumbles , sounds like the engine is not getting petrol . This has me blipping the throttle to keep the bike running , as I am to scared to let it cut out and possibly not able to start it again , fortunately this has not happened . There is not warning on the dash , so a bit of a thumb suck to diagnose the problem , once cooled down ( ambient and bike ) it starts and runs no problem . How does one diagnose this ?
did some research and one thing led to another . It has been suggested that it could be the vent hole that is blocked , if this was the case then it would happen all the time . ( there is a mod , " camel tank vent " ) Video on YouTube , they drill a extra vent hole in the tank .
This got me thinking , cant be vent problem all thought it could possibly add to the problem , in normal summer temps , 25 degrees this problem does not arise , only above 29 degree and hard riding does this crop up and only once slowed to a stop . Must be something else , thinking ...... and then it hit me , the fuel in the tank is getting very hot , and with no airflow the heat of the motor just about boils the petrol and this near boiling fuel is causing the pump to cavitate and thus pumping air bubbles into the fuel system and this the cause of the bad idle.
I am going to look at the vent and possibly drill the extra hole , but think that insulation might be a better option . then as this is a very rare occurrence that only shows its face when its very hot , I might be over thinking things and spending money on insulation could possibly not needed .
Has any of you had this happen ? and if so what did you do to fix it ?

Last edited: