Sudden loss of front tyre pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinksding

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
This scenario is bothering me the last few days

However, I dont want this to be a tube vs tubeless/ tubeless converion debate.

To give some background:

1. You all know about the Dog that did the tubeless conversion on his 990 and he went down due to a sudden loss of air on his front wheel and all the drama that went with it

2. A few years ago I rode my little 125 to the farm. You all know you only can do 80kmph on them. I rode, everything was fine. The next moment I had my hands full to keep it up right. I didnt know what was happening. At that stage I was going over bad corrugation. I manange to stay on to and to stop safely. The front wheel was flat and the beat off the rim. I skrikked my gat af.

3. 2 weeks ago my buurman went down in a straight line for no reason on his 300 KTM. He was going fast. Broke all of his ribs on one side, 3 on the other, a collarbone and a thumb. Knowbody knows what happened. He was unconscious and couldnt remember a thing. The front wheel was however flat.

4. Last weekend a fellow dog went down on his 990 on a straight tar road. He was doing 90kmph when it happened. (However, he seldom does that kind of speed...lucky for him). The culprit was a front tubed tyre that lost suddenly air.

5. At the Warr bash I did a silly mistake on the 990 in the riverbed and snakebited my front tube, it lost gradually air, so it wasnt that much of a hassle to stop safely in time.

I replaced the tube. 2 week later I rode to the farm. I went down a hill with a right bend at the end of the hill. I just fell that the front end was loose as hell and I had my hands full to keep the shiny parts towards the sun. The culprit: Flat front, it appeared the tube had a factory fault. It was not a puncture.

6. Then; 11 years ago, My Merrieding and I went to a wedding in Cape Town. We left the Saturday moring on my faithful 1200. (Tubeless)

Between Vanrhynsdorp and Klawer they were busy with the roadworks. When I overtook a truck one of those small brown sandbags must have fell off a construction vehichle, I didn't see it as the truck infront of me obstructed my view. As I move over to overtake it I went over the sandbag. What a bitch. Nothing went wrong.

As I decelerated at the stop&go, I noticed something was wrong. We just passed Klawer. The front wheel was FLAT. When we started to get going I drove to Trawal, which was about 15- 20km away. Ironically the faster I went the smoother it got.

I pumped the wheel at Trawal and proceeded to CT and was in time for the wedding.

So how was this possible? Was the bike's front end lighter cause Merrieding was at the back, with all her luggage. Haardroeër, makeup, 2 wedding outfits, 6 pairs of shoes?

How does this scenario differs so much from abovementioned ones?

Ek luister by die radio