ATGATT - stupid scooterists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
i ride a vespa, from durbanville into the city centre every day to work (cape town). now, it's one of the newer ones (4 stroke, auto, 150cc) so it wikkels - tops out at 100km/h.

and i have come to the realisation that us scooterists, are idiots. when it's hot, shorts and tshirt. when it's not hot, then i add a jacket (not a proper bike jacket, just a jacket, which will offer me some protection, but not a lot). helmet - open face, retro vespa. gloves - yes, when it's cold.

and i'm not the only one - i find a lot of scooterists are the same (just go to a vespa get-together). some okes are well kitted, but some okes are not.

since i have decided to buy a brand new F650GS this year (as soon as I sell my vespa), i have started shopping around for gear (a new helmet, jacket, etc). and then, riding home yesterday, i had the most shocking realistaion.

i am an idiot

i am riding on the N1 everyday, cruising at 100km/h. if i come off, i am going to get just as hurt on my vespa as if i was going 120 on my new beemer (when i get it).

so as of today i have started wearing my full face helmet (i bought it in winter for the rains) EVERY day, and my thickest jacket (more padding) no matter the weather. and i will try to avoid slops, and shorts (baby steps, i know i'm stupid but this heat wave is ridiculous).

in fact - i have already eyed a jacket for when i get my beemer, i was going to wait until then to buy it, but i think i might even get it now. The brand is "Assault" it's an awesome enduro style jacket, lot's of pockets, venting, armour, removable lining, the whole toot, for R1500. might as well get it now and start wearing it. i might look like a plonker on a vespa with this hardcore jacket, but hey. i'll be safe(r).

(also getting a new helmet, but going to wait for that since i am considering getting the BMW enduro lid and am hoping to talk BMW into a throw-in or discount deal with the bike)