Atlanta Rally 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

Just a short report on our ride on saturday to go watch the race at Atlanta that is about 60km outside Brits on the Thabazimbi road.

We met early and Tiaan had his new old 640, you know what I mean.
Got it friday, its a 2000 model. Superjuice also joined us as we were the guys who could not race that day. Superjuice cos of that car taking him and his shoulder out, Tiaan cos he broke his collarbone 3 weeks ago and me cos it was my mothers birthday and I had to be home early to go meet them.

Tiaan
DSC03610_small.jpg

We headed out to the dam, damn cold but it made the hot coffee that much better.
After hooking up with Zonkelnut, Funacide and Zonks buddy we rode along the canals , shortcut at the railway line, then dirt highway from there to Assen.
We split at the turn to the big dirt roads and fun, zonk and bud went home via a shabeen or two.

Superjuice at a pee break
DSC03614_small.jpg

Assen is like 5km from Atlanta where the race was being held, its not an official MSA race more of a fun run in aid of the local school.

But it was packed, over 300 entrants.

One or two shots of friends going past the 2nd corner.
Brad (KTM 300 XC-W)
DSC03623_small.jpg

Sean (On right, Yamaha YZ250 full enduro mods, sweet bike!)
DSC03628_small.jpg

Jaffies took the 200 class win on a KDX 200
DSC03630_small.jpg

This dude has won the Bapsfontein GP a few times, the last time there was cries of cheating but after having ridden with him there is all the chance in the world that he won it fair and square. He absolutely hauls ass!

2nd in the 200 class was Michael Creevy on his Dads KTM200, he was not riding his usual 85cc that he rides in the junior nationals (watch Rapid Motion) and beat everyone apart from Mr Bapsfontein.
He is something like 14.
DSC03632_small.jpg

Michael taking the 2nd corner, check the dust it is the bushveld in May.
DSC03633_small.jpg

Go Team CADDUX (my teammate on his KDX200)
DSC03634_small.jpg

Spotted amongst the riders.
An old XT500 with drum brakes and silver chromed rear towel rails!
DSC03625_small.jpg

We left after our mates came in from the first lap, hitting tar all the way home.

Thanks to everyone who rode, well done to those that raced.

Nice to see a XT in there. Well done to the rider, did he win ? :twisted:

Yip. We did sto at Kooka shops (shabeens). And by 2 pm we could not feel the cold air anymore :oops:

Our first stop. Sommer 100 m from split. Fun do know his pit-stop venues. :wink:

f_DSC00003m_2a02d53.jpg

f_DSC00004m_29781e4.jpg

This was at a township. I think Lerulaneng. Very nice locals.

f_DSC00005m_d62be14.jpg

After this, well ...

Thanks for the "newb" ride Shark, I was good fun, there might just be something to this dualsport riding :twisted:

Oh, and thanks for taking a route that was "collarbone" friendly

shark_za said:
Next time its the riverbed for you!

I'm quite keen to see what the 640 does in the Jericho riverbed, seeing as I blast it 5th pinned on the 300 :lol: