Back from the toughest Roof ever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and some more of the racing

100_1422Medium.jpg

100_1446Medium.jpg

PB270644.jpg

PB270649.jpg

PB270656.jpg

PB280678.jpg

Lance I am pleased you put me into your selection of 'more of the racing'! ... yes was at Baboons but was not racing anywhere that time!  :ricky:

BiG DoM said:
Lance I am pleased you put me into your selection of 'more of the racing'! ... yes was at Baboons but was not racing anywhere that time!  :ricky:
Except your heart....that was racing!! :biggrin:

edgy said:
BiG DoM said:
Except your heart....that was racing!! :biggrin:
and the american co-pilot

guys what an awesome ride! ill post my pics as soon as i get a chance to get them off my camera!
cant wait for next year! lets do it again..

BiG DoM said:
Yeah great ride guys! I really enjoyed it despite the frustrating Third World organisation. If they want an international in 2011 they must shine up the marshalling etc.

I must agree that the time has come to keep day tripper wannabee wankers on their plastics off the course on race day ... I mean where else in the world would this be allowed? Not only is it confusing for spectators to have bikes coming along with numbers on but they get in the way of the actual roof riders ... this is just plain arrogant and disrespectful. If someone eants to ride the route then go do it afterwards.
Whilst I agree that there needs to be controll and not a free for all, lets not generalise as to the wankers. I for one along with a group of experianced riders rode a few sections of the course HOWEVER we made sure we where thier way before the competitiors and rode to a difficult spot and stayed they and cheered to boys through. I race enduro's and some times when the going gets tough it is really nice to see some one out there cheering you on! Additionally we came across a guy with a broken leg and we carried him out for 2 hours and if it wasn't for us I am not sure how or who would have got him out? That and the liters of water we handed out, along with fixing a broken front break leaver which helped a guy finnish the day. The course is very remote and I without help on the course from guys like us many more people wouldn't have made it!

Now having said that I did see quite a few joy riders that had no clue and did get in the way etc so thier does need to be controll to not have every Tom Dick and Harry riding the course! (I just take exception to be call "day tripper wannabee wankers on their plastics "  ;)) My suggestion would be that you need to apply to be a "roving Marshall" and given a Marshall vest, first aid kit, extra water etc and only experianced riders be accepted?

I hear you Ktmjedi and agree with what you say. But I also overheard a conversation with Darryl Curtis who was most frustrated that there were 5 guys on enduro bikes who were on the racing course during the prologue and refused to move over even when he shouted at them. 
Now that is just wrong.
We also so a number of wannabees going up Baboons just before the racers came thru. they would definately have got in the way.

LanceSA said:
I hear you Ktmjedi and agree with what you say. But I also overheard a conversation with Darryl Curtis who was most frustrated that there were 5 guys on enduro bikes who were on the racing course during the prologue and refused to move over even when he shouted at them. 
Now that is just wrong.
We also so a number of wannabees going up Baboons just before the racers came thru. they would definately have got in the way.
Yip there needs to be controll! We made very sure that we got into the section early found a spot and stayed there untill it was open and safe to move with one eye over our shoulder. We also went up Baboons but again we went in early found a open spot off the line and cheered the boys through and they all gave us the thumbs up and seemed to enjoy the encouragement! But again there where many other there that didn't have the same respect or knowledge of racing that need to be kept off the course! Again my sugesstion is to be appointed as a roving marshall and identified as such because other than just spectating we did help quite a few guys including the guy with the broken leg. In fact due to the nature of the race now I think it is a very nessasary service they need in people will to help out on the course becuase who else will help those poor soles out there who have broken down, run out for water or broken themselves?

KTMjed - yes being a desegnated assistant marshal of iets sounds right. There needs to be some identification, vest or other. I agree help is often necessary and marshalling seems extremely thin, especially in the thick! I have assisted marshalling at GS Challenges and even that can be challenging ... I also think that the Roof must condsider medical support available on 2-wheels or quads.

You cant police that in Lesotho.
It will be like herding cats.

shark_za said:
You cant police that in Lesotho.
It will be like herding cats.

or pigs! ... but seeree-arse-ly ... no way they can run an international in 2011 like this under these conditions ... can you imagine open track on Ertzberg for all comers and wannabees~!???

Erzberg is a controlled quarry , one entrance.

Lesotho is open and free.

What bugs me about Lesotho is the lack of refrigeration.
Stopping at a shabeen and getting warm beer in summer is just not on.

Latest posts