Banana boys in De Wildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Last weekend it was a good friend's 40th in Pretoria and we attended the celebrations.  Driving to Gauteng just for a birthday party can quite easily be justified, especially THIS one, but pulling a trailer with some plastic along just gave the whole thing a little more purpose.  And collecting the 690 from Pro Action for next weekend's Lesotho ride caused us to be fully occupied for the whole long weekend.

We have been hearing a lot about this place De Wildt, and at last we get a chance to see the place.  We only arrived at about 13:00, not ideal but the only time we have.  The team is me on the 525, my laaitie and his 85, B on one of the 250 F tour bikes from our friendly dealer, and P, our local guide on his 250.

IMG_0420.jpg

We started off at the old police station, took off onto a dirt track, over a hill with a concrete path going up and a rocky downhill on the other side.  Then along a track with some sandy patches and lots of whoops.  These whoops are quite interesting, the frequency is inconsistent and you sometimes get spat out in some unexpected directions, good fun nonetheless.

At this little dam, B had a puncture and we had time for some pics

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Fixed up and continued into a rocky river bed.  We had great fun here - stayed in the bottom, avoided the escape routes up the banks.  The rocks with sandy patches in between make for great riding, although the heart rate did accelerate.....  Did not take too many pics, here is an idea.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Rest spot - the 85 has a mass advantage, but the small wheels did make him work a bit too.  Good practice for rugby.....  I'm a bit tired dad!

IMG_0429.jpg

We crossed under a road through a culvert, the 525 barks nicely in there.   Then further along, things got a little muddy.   Real snotty stuff!  The 85 ran out of fuel, and P went and fethed some from a near by shop.  R 23 / 2 liters.  Bargain!

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

About 40 km in we realized that time is getting short - wasted time with the puncture and fuel fetching, and we also had to do a spark plug repalcement on the 85.  The Durban fuelling on the 85 was not great at DW, was running too rich and carboned up with the slow going in the rocks.  Bit different to an MX track at sea level....

Also interacted with the friendly locals at a shebeen, they were a few quarts ahead of their capacity, but cheerful and made us feel welcome.  The little ones are very keen on photos, especially when you show them the pic on the camera screen afterwards!

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

By now it was getting really late, and we misjudged the sun a bit, it goes down FAST!  Moved out of the river and took the faster track on the side, and made for the camp.  We ended up in darkenss and climed that last hill back to the reservoir in total darkness.  Better with lights off, then you don't see the rocks and climb over easier.....  >:D  See the bike coming up in the pic..... 

IMG_0451.jpg

Back to the police station in total darkness, did some asking around to find the hole under the railway, again a bit tricky in the dark.  Back at the cars, our guards were still there waiting around a little fire, which we really appreciated. 

All and all a great experience, you have a lekka playground there!  Just over 80 km's done, and I undertand there are lots more.  The locals made us feel very welcome, and I would like to have more time to see more of the place one day.
And the lesson was that one should arrive earlier, avoid night riding out there! 
But KZN is still riding heaven.....  ;)

Glad you enjoyed it SGB.

That road with the whoops in called "pipeline" road, or the bottom of it called black sands.  Flatout on the back wheel is the asnwer ;)
So you basically went from there to the "main river" and stayed along this your whole ride.

This shabeen, is it on the tar road that makes the culvert or in the town further on ? (Madidi)
The building in the back looks like the one by the culvert but the window looks like somewhere else.

The reservoir in darkness, thats a bit different.
That river is a good DW experience and is one of the good spots, next time you should do a few mountains and then 3 fences riverbed too.
Glad you enjoyed your taste.

shark_za said:
Flatout on the back wheel is the asnwer ;)

Tried that, but it takes some practice, never seen so many whoops on one road.  Who made them?

[quote author=shark_za]

This shabeen, is it on the tar road that makes the culvert or in the town further on ? (Madidi)
The building in the back looks like the one by the culvert but the window looks like somewhere else. [/quote]

It was a few k's after going through the culvert, but cannot say exactly where.  ???  And if I had to go back I probably would not find it either!  ;D

[quote author=shark_za]
The reservoir in darkness, thats a bit different.
That river is a good DW experience and is one of the good spots, next time you should do a few mountains and then 3 fences riverbed too.
Glad you enjoyed your taste.
[/quote]
The darkness did bring a different dimension.  It is amazing how quiet it is out there, not a soul in sight between villages. 
Missed the hills, but we have some here too.
Will make a point of getting back there one day, with a GPS this time around.  Thanks Shark!

[quote author=Plothond]
Hey - you should have warned us  [/quote]

Plottie I did think about it, but the weekend plans were not in my hands, and I would not be able to make a specific appointment to see some WD's at DW.  Next time we will be better organized.  :)

Bliksem , and you didn't even pop in for a beer....

Glad you enjoyed it - next time???

H

Nice one Stefan. Good to see your boy there - hes the next Alfie Cox I swear it.

Next time he visists these parts without having a beer with the crowd - all hell will be loose ;D ;D

Thanks for all of that!

KilRoy, I will make sure that you are first to know next time I ride in, although we normally try and avoid Gauteng as far as possible.  ;D

Did you stop at the garage by the 4 way stop by Harties and ask for directions to De Wildt from 2 guys on XT's?

No Grim, never went close to Harties and no XT's encountered along the way.

Good to see the peeps riding when visiting!  :cool:

Must have been a year since my last outing at De Wildt. Miss the afkark on the DS bikes there.  :biggrin: