Battery Amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dax021

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I have once again been struck by the 800GS battery killer bug which left me stranded the other day.  Started easily once I managed to find a jump start and rode home no problem.  Yesterday I went to Midas and bought a new battery.  I asked the salesman for a YTX14BS which he promptly gave me, I paid and went home.  At home I opened it up and klapped that electrolyte bottle thingy into it.  Left for 20 minutes as per instructions, then while putting the cap on, realised that the twat had given me a 12 BS.  Took it back this morning and they refused to refund me as it had been activated.  Needless to say, I am pissed off with them, and partly with myself, as I should have checked properly.

My question to those in the know, is, will this battery, which is actually a 10Ah, work on the 800?  My old battery is 14Ah, as per the description.  Physical size is identical, so no problem with mounting it.  I feel that it should have enough amps to crank the bike, but might hammer it a bit causing a premature death.  I'm a bit loathe to just take the chance of stuffing it up, even though at the moment it is just an R850 paper weight, as I want to take it up with the shop owner if the consensus is that it is not strong enough for the bike.

Keen to hear the forum advice, thanks in advance.