Baviaanskloof via Grootrivier - Great way to end the year! (WARNING-Lotsa pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So Gromit PMs me about a ride along Grootrivier to Steytlerville/Willowmore and back via Baviaanskloof.  I'm game and GaryDakar_02 joins us for the day.  It's a long haul, just over 700Kms, but an awesome ride and a great way to end the year.  We set off at 05h00 and were back home at 19h30.

There's not going to be much commentary from me.  Just enjoy the pics.

GaryDakar_02
654yo9.jpg

Gromit
fmv3px.jpg

Some pretty flowers
2na6uj9.jpg

The View
zjxpuv.jpg

t8xl68.jpg

mlgj2w.jpg

24phto5.jpg

mw8uuf.jpg

Gromit enjoying the view from the top of Antoniesberg Pass.
33jp8j8.jpg

GaryDakar_02's first water crossing.
2j6740i.jpg

GaryDakar_02 with Gromit doing a "Look Ma, no hands" in the background.
161al9w.jpg

14xo5ec.jpg

2hekqs6.jpg

xfxdat.jpg

mhc391.jpg

2n8ym3m.jpg

16029w5.jpg

zx8xnl.jpg

258y0jq.jpg

14khz7a.jpg

Airport??
2j4dmpi.jpg

jhrbrk.jpg

2vuaerk.jpg

Steytlerville
208xky1.jpg

2utro2f.jpg

zir57d.jpg

34glf83.jpg

5bw9cl.jpg

Gromit
vzbolx.jpg

2coimc2.jpg

16kyvk1.jpg

Uitspan for a rest and lunch
erwnbp.jpg

11jyhro.jpg

2w5jec6.jpg

Lunch
2moy04l.jpg

2nuow8w.jpg

29c2ol.jpg

30sj6ec.jpg

Vensterklip
34rshur.jpg

97se43.jpg

op5wp.jpg

15qchlg.jpg

2lc1jma.jpg

29m9iyu.jpg

We met lots of these on the way.
2znrf5z.jpg

2cqinpg.jpg

24kz15e.jpg

24f9xkm.jpg

28beatc.jpg

Gromit at the cableway.
14ch5rb.jpg

Nice Photo's and scenery.

Thanks for sharing.

That really was a great ride. I am still battling to get my mind back in gear :p

Gromit said:
That really was a great ride. I am still battling to get my mind back in gear :p

Likewise.  Was sitting with Mapsource last night figuring out where to go next.  I think Hell is a good place to start.

Great ride with some awesome pics!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

What fuel range do you need for that route?

Nice "Bekerkop" sorry I missed out on that one albeit a long ride for 1 day!

KnopKop said:
Great ride with some awesome pics!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Not more than about 200km.  Willowmore to Patensie via Baviaanskloof is the longest run at 193kms.  The next longest is PE to Steytlerville at 189km.

Jughead said:
KnopKop said:
Great ride with some awesome pics!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Not more than about 200km.  Willowmore to Patensie via Baviaanskloof is the longest run at 193kms.  The next longest is PE to Steytlerville at 189km.

Thank you very much for that info!

I always wondered if it will be doable with the X-Challenge's range, but I will carry 2Lt extra just in case.

:thumleft:

KnopKop said:
Jughead said:
KnopKop said:

Not more than about 200km.  Willowmore to Patensie via Baviaanskloof is the longest run at 193kms.  The next longest is PE to Steytlerville at 189km.

I always wondered if it will be doable with the X-Challenge's range, but I will carry 2Lt extra just in case.

I left PE with a full tank, put in 7litres in Steytlerville and the reserve light came on as I was entering Patensie, so still had about 6-7 litres in the tank.

KnopKop said:
Jughead said:
KnopKop said:

Not more than about 200km.  Willowmore to Patensie via Baviaanskloof is the longest run at 193kms.  The next longest is PE to Steytlerville at 189km.

I left PE with a full tank, put in 7 litres in Steytlerville and the reserve light came on as I was entering Patensie, so still had about 6-7 litres in the tank.  Was averaging about 25.2km/l but was also hammering it at times.

Lekker een!  On a point of interest, how busy was the kloof wrt 4x4's and other bikers?

Watty said:
Lekker een!  On a point of interest, how busy was the kloof wrt 4x4's and other bikers?

We entered from the western side, there was minimal traffic until past Bergplaas. Once we past Rooihoek it became a freeway

nice (photo) report. done the baviaans on the 24th December also from the patensie side, we entered at 05h00 and only saw one other 4x4. We nearly drove into a black rino and her calf just before Geelhoutbos, dont know who skriked the most, me or the rino.

Gromit said:
Watty said:
Lekker een!  On a point of interest, how busy was the kloof wrt 4x4's and other bikers?

We entered from the western side, there was minimal traffic until past Bergplaas. Once we past Rooihoek it became a freeway

I almost got taken out twice by other bikes riding on the wrong side of the road, and by two 4x4s that thought they owned it!

Oh yes, and by a Kudu that fortunately managed to jump high enough.