Be careful, very careful ( Important lesson learned concerning wet tar )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losper

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
We all know that tar roads are slippery when wet but this morning I rearned an important lesson. We had a little rain for the first time in about 6 months and the roads were only slightly wet. I approached a  robot at about 80km/h and when it turned red I applied brakes ( carefully remembering it is wet ). The rear wheel locked up immediately and needles to say the bike fell on it's side and me and the bike slid on the tar for about 40 metres.

On closer inspection of the tar surface I saw that it was covered in a extremely thin oily layer that was very slippery. When the road was dry this was not visible. The amount of rain was so little that it did not wash this grime of the road. The important thing here is that since it had not rained for a number of months the "oil and grease" accumelated and when it became wet after a little amount of rain it became extremely slippery.

The point I wanna make is that we must be extra careful when the roads are wet and it did not rain for a number of months.

Just out of interest, I have got a Mitas E09 ( 1.6bar )at the rear. I am not knocking the tyre at all, I am just giving info in order for other dawgs to learn from. ( having said that I can't think that I ever encountred a situation like this on the TKC80's I have used, but then again I might be wrong.)

Let's just be extra careful on wet tar at the beginning of summer.

Thanks for crash-bars

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    69.2 KB

Latest posts