Better gearbox shifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
OK, so I could have added this onto the Mello Jo clutch thread, but then it gets lost....

After giving Jo some unneeded advice  :biggrin: I had disconnected my own clutch master reconnected and assumed it would self bleed...

The gearbox was clunky....mine is not normally 8)

So, I bled it from the nipple by the helmet lock... eish she shifts nicely again.... :biggrin:

A 30 minute clean up ...

1. Grease the linkage between the lever and the box, not usually the issue though.
2. Do you have foam rings to keep the grease in... stoffie found his corn plasters back to back works... ::)

3. Remove the starter cover, make sure the lever into the gearbox is firm not rattling around. ONE SCREW GUYS... TWO if a late GSA..  >:D

To bleed it open top cover at the bars... remove any old gunky fluid....fill it a bit...

Next to the helmet lock cut a cable tie.... a rubber wrapped... funny nipple appears... if it doesnt undo easily BMW may have used locktite and you need heat....

get a container you can bleed this by gravity if you have to.... try to pump clean fluid all the way through..  

I think my 2 fingered levers make it more sensitive to how well the hydraulics work in that first few degrees...

If not much better.. especially in coastal areas... get your heat gun out... remove the whole lever... it is locktited and will not come off without heat strip out the "Top Hat" bushes in the lever clean grease re-assemble, it should be a revalation... :peepwall: