Big Red fell!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Ok, all my fault.

On the way home from work, nearing the Daspoort tunnel from the southern side. About 17h30. It was raining. I had just filled the bike at the Sasol garage, and turned right into the road leading to the tunnel. The traffic was at a standstill, forcing me to go in the left lane turning right. Halfway during the turn, with cars standing still in the intersection, 3 Police cars with flashing lights forced their way through. I took to the pavement to get out of their way. I transitioned from the road to the pavement over a normal corner pice, +-150mm high.

I continued on the dirt on the side of the road for about 100m, and then attempted to get back on the tar where there was a large gap +-3 car lengths between 2 stationary cars.

I cut the approach angle too fine. As I hit the tar lip, only about 50mm high, the front refused to climb, washed out to the left and I moered down. I landed on my elbow and knee with the bike on top. Crawled out, lifted the bike and pushed it to the side.

Damage was limited to scratches on the exhaust tip, the white plastic cover, the handguard and the worst affected, the footpeg which got bent.

So, I learned that the XR crashes well on tar at about 30km/h. My arm is somewhat sore but the killer is the knee, it is nicely swollen and very painfull.

On the way home, I noticed that the handlebar is not straight when the bike is traveling in a straight line. The bar is not bent, but the relationship of the forks to the neck has changed.

At home I looked closely at the forks. I think the forks have turned slightly in the clamps. Is that possible? My logic tells me that could explain the difference in geometry noticed.

Regards
Riaan