Biking Hiking holiday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaalseun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Mrs Vaalseun convinced me that it would be a good idea to ride down to East London, where we were to meet our good friends for a 4-day hike along the shore, that being the Strandloper trail. I must admit I was somewhat apprehensive as it was Easter and the roads were going to be busy, but the eventually we settled on the backroads which turned out to be brilliant.

The first stop was the old steel bridge (built in 1926) over the Renoster river between Heilbron and Lindley where we enjoyed a packed breakfast.

The scenery between Arlington and Senekal is truly beautiful, and I would like to come back to this area to explore it a bit more.

At Rosendal we stopped (for far too long) while Mrs. Vaalseun caught up with some shopping.

Some more of Rosendal

We pulled into Ford Lazer at Wepener in time for a few cold ones and a hearty Oxtail which gave me some serious heasrtburn the next day. This remains a lovely place to overnight.

The bridge over the Caledon river outside Wepener

Imagine going back in time about 80 years. I think many a story has been told in this hotel in Van Stadensrus, which, according to the signboard on the door, later became the local funeral parlour.

In Rouxville, we came upon this story

Lunch was had at the overcrowded Wimpy in Aliwal North

In Grahamstown, animals from the township come into town for greener pastures where they are being accepted by the residents.

We stayed at the highly reccommended Yellow Piano backpackers on a small farm just outside Grahamstown. The food is very good, the hosts are excellent and the rooms are excellent for the price.

Early the next morning we went for a walk, together with Johnny Stripes, the tame Zebra.

There is also a 3-month old impala which is being fed with a bottle

The ferry at Kei mouth, the starting point of our hike

This idjot thought he would ignore the laws about driving on beaches.

Having a quick brekkie at the pancake place on beachfront in Gonubie, before tackling the road back

We did not miss the chance to stay another night at the Yellow Piano near Grahamstown. Claudia and Volcker packed us a lovely breakfast, which we enjoyed in the Nico Malan pass between Fort Beaufort and Queenstown.

In Rouxville we contemplated getting something at the local Fast Food outlet

Mrs. Vaalseun taking a break .... by now the road was getting veeeery long and the bum veeeery sensitive.

This was a lovely trip, just the two of us on the long road, beautiful scenery, meeting interesting people in small towns and realising again what a lovely country we live in.

Positives: Getting in touch with nature, spending time with good friends, seeing more of the roads less travelled

Negatives: It saddens me to see the dilapidated state of almost all the small towns, and the very poor condition of some roads

Great report thanks for sharing  :thumleft: