Birth of a touring Machine("after" pics now included)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
In preparation of the upcoming Wilddog Bash (and for my wife's birthday) I decided to transform her 650 GS into the ultimate touring machine!

Started off by phoning around to get a general idea of what is available :

First up Touratech - do I really want to wait six months for delivery? Also a bit pricey :-\.Let's move on.

How about BMW. Mmmm...not to sure I like their OEM panniers that much, looks like lopsided briefcases ::)

Maybe Hepcko & Becker. Holy crap!! :confused2: :confused2: where did I put those lotto tickets :(

OK let's get some prices from SW-Motech. And here I have to thank Adventurer for the excellent service - quick delivery and technical advice on tap ;D

Everybody knows what a plain old 650 GS looks like but here goes:

So on Tuesday Adventurer delivers  :thumleft: about 100 different parcels (kidding -there was about 10) but nonetheless I nearly fainted. For someone whose biggest project in this line was his Mechano set way back it looked like Mount Everest :eek:

Open everything up and quickly come to the realization that my el-cheapo toolset from P&P is just not going to cut it :-\ :BangHead: Off to Builders Warehouse to get some decent tools...

Time for assembly - won't bore you with all the details except for "FLUCK :angryfire:DEMMIT :angry8:BLIKSKOTTEL

Not as easy as I thought it was going to be. No worries call Adventurer for encouragement :director:

After all was said and done it came out perfect. Well worth the effort and saved some moolas in the process!!!

And to the love of my life - Hoop jy het lekker verjaar  :eek:ccasion13: en dat jy jou bike sommer baie gaan geniet!!!!!

PS - New pictures will be posted tonight  ek moet nou eers Kaap toe :(