Breedsnek solo - WTF was I thinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Once again this is more a road report than a ride report.
So I heard Breedsnek was a bit rough at the moment and decided to go and have a look for myself. Well here is a warning - it was waaay out of my league. I can count myself lucky that I did not put the bike down anywhere, and that was only because I have long legs to keep it up. That road is in a seriously bad condition.
I only took one pic of the road condition, because most of the time I was swearing loudly inside my helmet and just trying to keep the bike upright. Of course on the photo you cannot see how deep these ruts are - my front wheel easily falls into them and then I have to get the bike to climb out again.
So if you can ride and you're looking for a nice road, now is your chance. If you're a newby and still finding your gravel fee, I would suggest you stay away. Either way, I think going solo was stupid of me, but then again I didn't know the road was THAT bad.
First pic - On top of Breeds neck and glad I can take the easy route down.
Second pic - the road condition on the way down - much better than coming up. Right then I had stopped enjoying the view.

Attachments

• 100_0277.jpg
    100_0277.jpg
    40.8 KB
  • 100_0281.jpg
    100_0281.jpg
    56.3 KB
nice training section over the maanhaar rand. I ride it almost every weekend and it does get even more hectic sometimes. Nice view on top though

Three of us also went over Breed'snek yesterday after the canal ride.  There are some bad spots but I did not have to stop or put my foot down once.  A friend on his AT and Brandt on his 1150 also came through unscaved.  I was breathing harder when I got to the top from handling the bike over the uneven and rocky terrain.  ;D

It is a good opportunity to learn to choose the best line on any bike.  Choose the wrong line and you're going to have a problem.

Funny thing - When I stopped at the top to take a photie and drink some water, this little ford with four young coloured okes pull up. Dressed to impress and everything.

"Is this the road to Sun City?" one of them askes me.
After thinking for a while I reckon yes, it is possible, but definitely not the best road. It turns out they had followed the garmin.  :biggrin:
I told them to just keep going until they got to the tar road and then ask for directions, but hell it was funny.

Ummmmm I went up there a few weeks ago coming from North going south found a guy who had been going north and had dumped his Dakar badly on the sharp U bend. Not a WD and he was OK just a bit bruised but the bike was fairly busted up and not rideable. Waited with him until his buds arrived with a bukkie. That was my only stop on the way up and I wasn't happy with the way my bike was handling. Checked suspension settings at the top to find that they had been changed when the bike was in for a service earlier that week. Kicked myself a few times for not checking before going for a ride. :-[ Damit that pig handles like a pig when the suspension is not right. :imaposer:

Yes , I though it to be a gas. nice bit of training, turned around and did it again. But watch your line, it can get uncomfortable.
Not for the faint hearted. :ricky:

I was really worried that I will bend my rims on Friday when we did it. My front end bottomed out twice on the rocks  :eek: But it was fun  :ricky: :ricky: Thanks Lourens  :thumleft:

I barely made it up there a while back, and found  group of mountain bikers at the top !  :imaposer:

Decided not to complain...

Seems there were a couple of dogs through there on Saturday... we were at the top at around 10:00 - had a LOOONG Zamalek at the bottom too!

Was a walk in the park man ;D

Think I'll take the caravan to Mountain Sanctuary this weekend.... ::)

Latest posts