Brekvis Ride to Port Alfred - and a helluva wind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnivore

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Today wuz one of the windiest I can rememberâ?¦.  :eek:

But first.. a little bit of back tracking. I have a buddy (yes, it is true..)  :eek7: who really desired to get into some motorcycling.  :ricky: And when your lovely wifey shares the desire, well, it doesnâ??t get much better than that. GET A BIKE!!  :deal:
So when he asked me to test-ride a beautimous F650GS, it was not difficult to say OK..  :3some:

The deed was done, and my buddy is as pleased as punch.  :biggrin: Here he is wif his son in the grudge with the Silver Pony.
Image038.jpg

But, being an absolute newbie at this, it has taken some time for him to find his feet, so to speak. After a few weeks of gepeuter around the parking lot and some grassy open places  :peepwall: â?¦ itâ??s time for the Brekvis Run to Port Alfred, 150kays up the coast from PE.  :thumleft:

Weather forecasts are saying very high windsâ?¦ so we leave it to this morning to decide. After a perfecto Saturday and a lovely evening attending a rather lekker wedding,  :mwink: we get home â?¦ umâ?¦ rather late, and so I send the man a smsâ?¦ call me first poep of the duifie and say yay or nay.

Well, 06:45 on a Sunday morningâ?¦ my ringtone is a rather delicious turbocharged getaway ( I love it when he hits 3rd gear and pullsâ?¦) so I grab the device and smother the noiseâ?¦ ag what the heckâ?¦ â??Yup, Howzit Mike.â? â??So, whatâ??s the weather going to do today? Is there more bad stuff coming?â? is the query form the other side.

â??No man, Iâ??m checking it out towards the west, ek seâ?¦ itâ??s bright and sunny already. This is going to be a great fine dayâ?â?¦ (tongue very firmly in cheek, you understand. Right, so heâ??ll see me in 30 minutes.  :imaposer:

Here we are, Main Manne, just raring to go.
P8310046.jpg

We gathered at Builders Warehouse with a few brave souls who knew what was coming but didnâ??t mind. So waar, Mikeâ??s front wheel had an uninvited 4-pronged guest between the knobs  >:D and a serpent-like sssss was emanating from the Trailwingâ?¦. Holts Tyreweld sorted that out!

And so we departed for the seething metropolis of Port Alfred, the Eastern Capeâ??s Mediterranean Marina of note. Of course, westerly had picked up significantly (likeâ?¦. 50km/h worth of significantly..) but it was at our back, so not a problem at this stage. We stopped once to assist with a telephonic logistical issue of a fellow biker, who laboured under the misconception that his wife and son, who were supposed to be following him and his little girl, were in actual fact heading for Timbuktu. Happily, we can report that the family unit was reunited in a moment,  :bueller: and we continued on our journey, in ever-growing anticipation of a sumptuous repast. (For CS and Runner, that means a moerse brekfis...)

Well, being relatively slower than the road rat machines that we encountered at the foregathering, we were a tad later than the rest at the Skiboat Club, and we wasted no time in getting stuck into some coffee, and a very lekker full brekvis â?? wors, mince, tomato, eggs, juice, cereals toast, marmaledâ?¦ (not in any particular order..) and we had some entertainment from Craig Mischief. Very good gags, and some pretty good singing too.
P8310047.jpg

Now, these two gentlemen were on some rather impressive machinery â?? 1800cc V-twin Suzuki Boulevards. Damn.. you just cannot ignore the beast. But the fun thing wasâ?¦ the older guy used to terrorize the unlicensed dirt bikers in PE in the early 80â??s as a rather famous Spietkop. Our cabaret artist made him cringe a little bit!!  :xxbah:
P8310052.jpg

So, Mike was duly led like a lamb to the slaughter, on to the dirt roads from PA to PE along the coast past Woody Cape. You can see that it was bleak and the wind was pumping at up to 80km/h in the open placesâ?¦and we were heading into its teeth. Through the kloofs and between the trees in the Woody Cape Reserve area, the wind is attenuated somewhat, but picks up again like a malevolent monster upon emerging into the open.
P8310053.jpg

P8310056.jpg

We were being subjected to a full investigation by the Bovine Board of Beverage Producersâ?¦
P8310055.jpg

Getting into the denser bushy section around Zuney and De Mond, I managed to get a couple of pics of Mike negotiating some tricky sandy bits. His smile was as wide as his visorâ?¦!
P8310057.jpg

P8310058.jpg

And so we merged onto the N2 again at Kinkelbos, and bent our heads into the westerly that tried to throw us off the road. From here until home â?? no more picturesâ?¦ but I must add that we did detour onto the old Coega Road, just to go over the old Mackay Bridge which is condemned and in imminent danger of collapsing into the Sundays River. Apparently, Captain Slow had been there too, on Saturday. Naughtyâ?¦ he he he.  ::)

Thatâ??s it â?? just a few pics, but for me the beauty of todayâ??s trip was that I conned my buddy into riding a wild wind with hail and rain (yupâ?¦ at Canon Rocks, we were bombarded with little ice bullets) and now, he need not fear such again, for he has conquered one of the devils that were plaguing his mind. Yeee haah!  :biggrin:

Entebbe, here we come.  :ricky:

Good night.

Well done in the true spirit of biking .... not even a little wind could keep you guys of the bikes  :biggrin:

JJred said:
Well done in the true spirit of biking .... not even a little wind could keep you guys of the bikes  :biggrin:

Man, I tell you... I can have a stress headache for 4 days aanmekaar, and lose my rag at work.... but today's ride left me with a feeling of satisfied contentment.

And I got home to a fire in the lounge, and the family all snug in komberse and there was chocolate and soup and... eish!

Lekker day!!!

Lekker report, respect to you hard men!

I wanted to say breakfast runs are for sussies >:D but considering the wind i'll bow in respeckt ;D

Why, thank you, kind Sir! But that brekkie was for real men only... (and a few delectable ladies...  :biggrin: )

Nice one carnivore
Coles is a good friend of mine

AAAHHH,PE the good ol windy city,cool report ,hope you can go on a windless trip next weekend :ricky:

Nice one!!!

That spietkop is very well known, even i know him, and i am a cappie :)
He also use to rally a bit, real character old Keith :)

Snafu said:
Nice one!!!

That spietkop is very well known, even i know him, and i am a cappie :)
He also use to rally a bit, real character old Keith :)

oh yes, and his surname has something to do with a cooler box, Coleman to be precise :p

Nice RR Carnivore all I say is respect  :notworthy:as yesterday was really kark weather in PE and I only left the house to get DVD and takeaways ;D

I am looking forward to doing this trip. Thanks for the great pictures.

Glad you weren't blown of your bikes in that wind yesterday.

Nice one Carnivore. :thumleft:
I also know Mr Morris, use to work for the same company. He took my bike for a spin the other day and he liked...The dark side is calling you Mike 8)

Send him my regards and get him to join the forum.

Hello all... gee, a lot of kind remarks for a li'l ol' report... thanks a lot.  :thumleft:

Ha ha... ja, our spietkop freind learned how to drive by chasing the laaitjies in a 3,0 litre souped up Cortina XR6 - I think they called it the "Interceptor"...?

Cave Girl .... you can end up swapping provinces every weekend!!!  ;D

Ride safe, all.