Bulwer's Haunted Hotel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Ducati Hypermotard
Bulwer the Haunted Hotel!!

As I mentioned in a previous posting a few mates and I planned a trip to Bulwer in Natal which we did this weekend. Firstly apologies to the guys from Natal for not making contact with you.

We left the big smoke at about 11h30 on Friday morning with the intention of getting to Bulwer before dark. A fast ride down the N3 to Nottingham Road and off up the R617 toward Underberg, we were there at about 16h30. Distance 533 kilometers.

I have never been to the Mountain Park Hotel in Bulwer before, the initial thought upon arriving being non too good. For the benefit of those who havenâ??t been there, picture the Adamâ??s family house on the side of a hill, complete with crooked stairs, creepy corridors, doors that close behind you and noises in the night that sound like somebody moving beds around in the attic. I work in the construction industry and put all these things down to a badly constructed 100 year old building (and believe me it looks that way) Never the less the staff are very hospitable, the food was acceptable and at R250-00 pp dinner, bed and breakfast who can complain. Generally a good weekend was had by all. In fact the place sort of grows on you as the weekend passes.

Unfortunately I didnâ??t get a chance to get off the tar this weekend, which given that I am new to this lark is probably a good thing, but I did find the area itself very nice, lots of winding roads, through mountain passes with beautiful views of the surrounding country side.

Saturday we headed for Kokstad, from their down to the Port Edward on the South Coast then North to Port Shepstone, Amanzimtoti and finally Durban before heading West back to Pietermaritzburg along the road that the Comradeâ??s would be run on Sunday.
Distance approx 740 kilometers.

Sunday morning saw us head home to Jhb taking a few detours through Nottingham Road, Escourt, Bergville, Frankfort and the Vaal Dam.
Distance approx 650 kilometers.

Although we did no dirt (riding which you guys are interested in) the tour itself was very nice, with great potential for outrides to Sani Pass and the numerous dirt roads and tracks in the area. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, and I will certainly being doing the same thing, or something similar in the not too distant future.

Best Regards

Pom

PS â?? Please feel free to PM for contact details for the Mountain Park Hotel, apologies for the lack of photos.

Pom next time don't take the N3, ride via Vereeniging, Sasolburg, Bethlehem, Sterkfonteindam to Rosetta to Underberg.  Dead quiet and lot more fun.

So did you see my bits of Pipe?

They left me on the 24th of last month, they have made it to Maritzburg!!!!

What a system.

Welsh  :( :( :(

Pom said:
Unfortunately I didnâ??t get a chance to get off the tar this weekend, which given that I am new to this lark is probably a good thing, but I did find the area itself very nice, lots of winding roads, through mountain passes with beautiful views of the surrounding country side.

Just go do it. Own time, own pace. Much easier than you think it is. No set standard. Do it in your own comfort zone and take it from there.  :wink:

We slept there on the way to Lesotho on monday night last week, at the paragliding club bungalow. Nice place

I see the photo did not appear,bear with me will try again!!! >:D

Here it is,hopefully!

And here are the cabins,R70 per person...Not Bad!

And here is Gravelmad,packing his gear ready for Sani...!

I stayed in Bulwer for 2 nights once.
I remember getting there during a springbok rugby game, and I know we were all at the Bulwer Hotel.
The rest is a blur.
My mates all went paragliding the next day, I dont even remember where I slept both nights, cant remember much of the day spent there either.
Next real memory was leaving the third day with a moerse hangover.

shark_za said:
I stayed in Bulwer for 2 nights once.
I remember getting there during a springbok rugby game, and I know we were all at the Bulwer Hotel.
The rest is a blur.
My mates all went paragliding the next day, I dont even remember where I slept both nights, cant remember much of the day spent there either.
Next real memory was leaving the third day with a moerse hangover.

Who won the game?

The mood was festive so I guess we did.

That place is haunted I tell you!

Hey Stephan, You know I've got a soft spot for the little yankee fella.... and YES, he squeeled like the guy from deliverance

Gravelmad - is that a new tank on your bike?