"Burnshield" emergency burn dressing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
After a really dof oops near hot exhaust headers I ended up with a burn along the outside edge of my palm. Fortunately there was a doctor nearby (nursing a 1200GS that had been knocked over anonymously in a parking lot) who pointed me to something to use:

"Burnshield" hydrogel burn dressing

Basically some sort of spongy material heavily doused in water and tea tree oil. Place it over the burn wound, put some plastic over it (cling-film works well, I just cut up a sandwich bag - to prevent the bandage from soaking up all the good stuff), then bandage the whole lot in place. Leave for 12-24 hours, "draws out" the burn and keeps the initial burn area moist. Will still be sensitive the next day, but seems to be a lot better than if I would just have left it. (I could comfortably wear gloves for riding today which I couldn't do yesterday.)

Available in various sizes from most pharmacies - a 100mm x 100mm piece will cost around R15-R20.

NOTE: The packaging says "use for burns and scalds" - I do not know if this will be suitable for open/exposed/broken skin burns.

(Also mentioned here https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=11807.0 as part of a First Aid kit.)