Bushveld northern loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Worshond
Reaction score
Heading_zpsb42472df.jpg

We spent two days riding from Vaalwater up to Marken then back down south. We set up camp in Vaalwater on day 1 which would then lead to Marken and onto a second camp site close to Klipwerf dam for the second overnight stop. Some lessons learnt : a 5 degree sleeping bag is not what you want for winter and 9 liters of fuel capacity is not good enough for a trip.

Day 1 camp site

DSCF4713_zps2e6cd8ea.jpg

Saturday started with some dirt leading north east, made for cruising making sure the bikes were a ok

DSCF4718_zps46a7b3f4.jpg

Dirtwarp pulled over to adjust his chain, not enough travel in the sucker. Five minutes later and we were back on the road

DSCF4719_zpse8a41126.jpg

Up towards and skirting the Palala river we came across these trees looking like they were growing out of the rock. Can someone identify them ? Seems they have no leaves in winter and has a almost white apearance. Many of them can be seen around the rock faces growing on the mountain sides

DSCF4720_zpsbae780ac.jpg

Made a good place to stop and have a short rest bite

DSCF4722_zpsf55c181c.jpg

Think this was the Melkhout river ? Anyway upstream there was a nice dam with some people trying their luck at fishing, we ran along dide the river and then headed north towards a loop spotted on Google Earth

DSCF4726_zps39bc27e7.jpg

Someone went to great lengths to support this little pass heading up the mountain side

DSCF4732_zpsaa2c2f4f.jpg

Then turning off the main dirt route we took this side track which turned into a two track and then eventually into some single track

DSCF4734_zpsa2030a6a.jpg

Look closely and you will spot those trees I mentioned earlier on the mountain side, the valley had a stream running down the length of it. Looking at the rocks up above it seems there may be springs that will feed it in summer time

DSCF4735_zps082c176a.jpg

Middle of nowhere, just the sound of nature all around - pretty neat !

DSCF4736_zps7988427b.jpg

DSCF4737_zpse78be7ad.jpg

It was around 12 and time for lunch, Sardines sandwich - perfect trail food :) From here on things became tight as we had to navigate by GPS which being created by GE was not always 100% on track. Some cases we went 100 - 200m left or right navigating the single track. The bushveld may be cold by night but the valley was cooking and with some surprise I found my bike was starting to spit some coolant ! Damn never happened with any bike before and I had a fan that was clearly not working. Fault finding at home later found the thermostat to be the culprit.

DSCF4738_zpse72ce72e.jpg

DSCF4741_zps97c46c67.jpg

DSCF4742_zps1929973c.jpg

Then we came across a playground of note, a river bed that just had to be ridden. It went for miles and if we had enough time and fuel we could have ridden it all the way down to rejoin the main dirt road. Next time !

DSCF4745_zps2ccb5705.jpg

Finding these spots - priceless !

DSCF4746_zps531e1ae2.jpg

DSCF4747_zps63bfa6c5.jpg

On fumes we made it to Marken to fill up and get some much needed beer for the camp to follow. The owner was a nice guy and even gave us some meat to braai - yes you know what kind  :patch:

DSCF4751_zpsba767c6b.jpg

Another chilly night lay ahead but at least we had lots of firewood and a hot shower on site

DSCF4753_zps8ac831fb.jpg

This ride was quite a bit more "open" than what I'm used to but it was nice to ride an enduro bike with a wide 6th gear again
;D
The open stuff, South of Marken:
20140706_091511Copy_zps5a515d63.jpg

20140706_091431Copy_zps40566a21.jpg

I wanted to throw a couple of technical sections into the mix and this track lead to some nice parts:
20140705_145605Copy_zpsd1461853.jpg

20140705_145608Copy_zps6c4df249.jpg

20140705_133315Copy_zps80c0e7d3.jpg

20140705_132836Copy_zps49e8fa62.jpg

20140705_140344Copy_zps6a257b5f.jpg

20140705_133709Copy_zpsabbd7842.jpg

20140705_140545Copy_zps580170ab.jpg

20140705_141231Copy_zpsbbeec10b.jpg

20140705_141329Copy_zps7f1a2ab3.jpg

The "bad" thing about riding in this area is the distances.
I was planning to traverse this section by entering it via the riverbed, but we were running on fumes already  :'(
berg_zpsab58c534.jpg

bed_zpsb9b50f94.jpg

Really happy with my decision of buying a 525 again.
It is the Johnty Rhodes of dirtbikes.
20140705_135139Copy_zpsd3a541d8.jpg

beautiful thank u for posting

RR's like these makes me wonder if i should not get a lightweight single
for traveling.

Sunday morning passed a massive Baobab tree, should have taken a pic - did not see another one for the whole day. The small pass went up the mountain side as we now made our way south

DSCF4757_zps8f838610.jpg

At the crossroads, straight to Vaalwater, right towards Ellisras. We continued with our loop and headed towards the Mokolo river

DSCF4759_zps44145284.jpg

DSCF4763_zps548d93b7.jpg

I marked the bridge on the GPS, on Google Earth someone posted a pic of a croc in this river. The water level was quiet low and fast flowing, not ideal croc water but I guess this is part of their territory. Looks like good fishing water for Yellowfish or Smallmouth bass

DSCF4764_zpsbdb503ac.jpg

Then bit of a bummer, no fuel at Bulge river. The old BP pump showed R8 a liter thus not being operational for a while. The washed out track lay ahead towards Marakele but we had no choice but to head back to Vaalwater or get stranded without fuel

track_zps14157325.jpg

Uitstekend eendag is eendag!  :thumleft:

A/T said:
Uitstekend eendag is eendag!  :thumleft:
Daai Husky sal lekker loop daar, die klippe in daai rivier kan jou uitvang. Het my een footpeg n goeie stamp daar gegee.

It looks like you did part of the route we normally do from my mate Franna's farm in Thabazimbi or from Zinyala to Vaalwater.
Just one question................All of the property there is private land as far as I know.
If you say you turned off the main road on a track........did you ride on private land?
That river.............must be on private property.
I have been through there a 100 times and have never seen that piece of river.
Very spectacular I must say.
Been on the lowwaterbridge where the crocs were seen....beautifull there :thumleft:

Looks like the road between the koppies is the visgat road going up towards the Lapalala Game Reserve from Marken?
Lekke road to ride :biggrin: Very scenic

Orangeswifty said:
It looks like you did part of the route we normally do from my mate Franna's farm in Thabazimbi or from Zinyala to Vaalwater.
Just one question................All of the property there is private land as far as I know.
If you say you turned off the main road on a track........did you ride on private land?
Very spectacular I must say.
Been on the lowwaterbridge where the crocs were seen....beautifull there :thumleft:

Looks like the road between the koppies is the visgat road going up towards the Lapalala Game Reserve from Marken?
Lekke road to ride :biggrin: Very scenic
Swifty awesome part of the country, the river is private land and we spoke to the owners / workers when we went through. They did not seem to mind but just wanted us to close all the gates we went through. We had to go through a temporary fence and spent some time closing it up again, they said we could try (we did not cut anything). Going back was not an option as we would have run out of fuel. The river is to the side of the track, it just caught my eye. In summer with the lush vegetation I'm sure you will ride straight past without seeing it.

As per usual very lekker ride Next time I am comming with  :deal: Maar jy weet of jy sal nog weet skool vakansie kenners wat wil besig gehou word

Orangeswifty said:
That is homeland.
As long as you treat the new "owners" with respect, you are generally welcomed.

:thumleft:

Cool trippie, dankie vir die mooi RR
:ricky:

Nice!

Great minimalism.  :thumleft:

Looks like a really nice ride - any chance of GPS tracks?