Calling all Sparkies - KTM electrical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDOG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Hereâ??s a question for all you electrically minded people.

I recently fitted some spotlights. Upon fitting, I earthed the required wires to the stainless steel â??head-frameâ? (for lack of right word). At that time the meter said that the voltage was fine. A few weeks ago the lights started being temperamental â?? they would work at times and then not at other times. I assumed the switch had been damaged by water, since it doesnâ??t really seem to be water resistant. After a recent off, they stopped all together. So my investigation started.

Measuring the voltage to the live wire, directly from the battery, I only got 8.5V. By a series of elimination, I eventually determined that the earth point on this â??head-frameâ? was problematic, actually, anywhere on the frame was. I was required to run a new earth wire from the actual battery earth pole to the lights.

Please explain whether this is the normal situation or whether there may be a loose connection I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.