Cape Town to Maun, who's joining? February 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hello Dogs,

Yip, I'm scheming again!

There might be an opportunity for me to ride my DR up to Maun next month (February).
Very short notice, I know, but hey.

I will be short on time, so as much as I'd love to dedicate a week to the trip, I will probably only have 3, or at the most, 4 days. Which means my butt is going to suffer! It also means I will most likely need to stick to the tarmac.

I've only done the drive to Botswana via JHB, and now I'm thinking of a more direct route (I think one goes past Kimberly or Upington).

The date has been set. We leave CT on
Friday 20th February

I have never done a trip of this magnitude on a motorbike, and naturally I am VERY nervous, and I don't want to go alone. Does anyone want to join? Even if it is only for part of the trip.

The bike only has a topbox, no soft luggage, which I will most likely need to buy once I'm back in SA.
I will also need a better jacket, as my leather one will be killer in the heat. And I might take a rear tyre with too (difficult to get hold of bike tyres in Bots).
So, packing will need to be done VERY carefully.
Another limitation is fuel. I probably won't be able to afford a long range tank. The DR gets about 200km to the tank, so either I must buy a fuel cell, or try convince someone with a huge fuel tank to accompany me.

APPEAL
- Anyone with an adventure/touring jacket for sale/give-away? Medium should do.
- Anyone with soft luggage for sale - I'm keen
- Anyone with a DR-compatible bash-plate - I'm keen

ROUTE IDEAS?

GEAR IDEAS?

WHO's JOINING?

If you come all the way to Maun, beer and braai at my place

Cheers  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: