Caped Town Riders do the Saron Canal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
We got together as planned...

There was Niki, and XT660R and TokTokkie and Pleco and pillion, Kieth with his pillion Jilly, and Gavin and Shamiel. Last to arrive was Kaboef and Marli, so off we went

p1010001on3.jpg

p1010002wg1.jpg

And even did a water feature, stopping on the Slent road for a break

p1010004cw9.jpg

Where we were joined by Surf

p1010006za7.jpg

p1010007li0.jpg

p1010008ae9.jpg

Kaboef almost lost his topbox on the way, fortunately minor damage.

We stopped at Malmesbury for coffee and other refreshments. Kaboef and Surf decided they had had enough and departed.

p1010011uj3.jpg

And proceeded with the Moorreessburg gravel road turning off to Riebeeck wes.

p1010012xm6.jpg

p1010014nv0.jpg

p1010015vm6.jpg

We then explored the canal road at Saron, which proved to be quite interesting. The gate was locked but some of us tried the detour.

p1010017fd4.jpg

I am sure XT660R will supply more pics and even a movie of Gavin and his KTM, featuring a hole in the track.

p1010018we6.jpg

I took some pics in my return ride - going there was an experience - and I did not even go all the way.

p1010020kv2.jpg

I heard rumours of a certain GS rider named Shamiel that trid his hand at farming. Unfortunately he will need to replace his screen - put his foot through it - he said. Brought back a souvenir - a bonsaai!

p1010021jw8.jpg

p1010022ho9.jpg

p1010023lh4.jpg

This is where another group decided to return leaving Niki, Tok Tokkie, Gavin, Andy and me to find Halfmanshof, which we found on the second try. When I went through there on Friday by car that bridge was still opened and not mangled.

What a nice scenic road to Piketberg - lovely little kloof there.

p1010024fp1.jpg

Refreshments at Piketberg and off on the N7 to Moorreessbbuurrgg where we took the gravel to Malmesbury.

I almost cashed it in here in a confrontation with the SandMonster! The others just breezed on by! Ugh!

We parted ways at Malmesbury.

p1010025gh2.jpg

I enjoyed the ride, hope you guys did too. - Only goes to show, hey, when the Caped Wild Doggies ride they enjoy themselves.
Thanks guys.

Hi There what a ride it was really great and even Jilly enjoyed the day out in the saddle pity the canal gate was closed would like to have seen where it ends? Looking forward to next adventure. Thanks for a super day.

It was great meeting some new people, and I think everybody had a great time. It was such a great riding day! I only got home at 18:30, just as it was getting dark.

Thanks for leading the way droffie, I travelled some new roads today.

And we even had time to practice some sand-riding. Luckily it was over before anyone toppled over, or  got too tired...

droffarc said:

XT660R and Gavin also got their bit of real off-road stuff, I'm sure they'll be posting pics and movies...

Lots of "trail riding" this weekend I see.  ;D  Nice report.

Another awesome report with great pics. Nice seeing some semi-familiar surroundings.

These ride reports really work for me .. what exactly is the X-factor in biking? The adventure, the adrenalin, the uncertainty of what to expect .. dunno, but whatever it is I want more!

Glad you guys had an enjoyable and safe trip. Cool post.

Hey, looks like a great ride!  8)

How, exactly, does one get to Saron and this little trail?

(Saron? Saron...? Isn't that the Big Bad Eye from lord of the Rings :-\)

That would be Sauron. Ask the LOTR obsessive compulsive addicted expert lol. Close enough though.

Thanks for the ride Drof, it was great fun. ;D

We had to leave early due to other commitments though.

That sand looks yummie, wish I could have joined.

Looks like a fun trip with different kinds of conditions ridden.

Well done!

the_wes said:
why didn't i know about this trip  :mad:

Next time, pay attention! :mrgreen:

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=8550.0

Great ride guys. That canal trip was awesome, esp the section where we were 40m above it.Looking down that steep incline was cool. And the last tech bit -well, lost my screen

Got home,washed the tons of mud (hey ho for Prepsol  :D :D :D),cleaned the bike and replaced the screen with the Kappa tall. So she's good as new.Thank god for those SW-M bars I put on the day before :eek:. It took the brunt of the fall and not one scratch on the fairing  :)

All in all,another great ride with amazing wild dogs.

So when we doing it again???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Drof,it was the best ride I have been on to date,really nice bunch of guys and gals that came along.How on earth you remember all the turn offs we took ,I dont know.
But here are some pics.And Oh ! KTM`s do get stuck !!!
DSC00241.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Must say I was bushed by the time I got home, and still had to prep for today's work (downloading reports and putting em into working papers), so I quickly dashed off the report.

Thanks for that edit Wino.

Have added the report to my wetpaint site with a pic or two more and more story.

https://droffarc.wetpaint.com/page/2007_Saron

XT660R has forwarded a map to me - will post it here in a while.

Hey Rounelle... I can tell you that the X-factor is not to make your name gat by falling in front of the neighbour's wife tryning to be polite to the girl. ::)

Boertjie said:
Hey Rounelle... I can tell you that the X-factor is not to make your name gat by falling in front of the neighbour's wife tryning to be polite to the girl. ::)

uhhhhmmmm boertjie, ek dink jy is nou in die verkeerde draad. ::)

Latest posts