Cederberg - the vespa way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! And those white wall tyres on those trail tyres! :D
Those Vespas are incredible.
There is one laying in the Fish River Canyon, wrecked. A crowd of guys did Nam on Vespas many years ago, and one guy wrote his off in the CAnyon, it was to much hassle to recover it, so they left it there. It is still there somewhere.
I can just imagine the conversation amongst the Beemer guys that you encountered along the way. :D :D

Upgrade: Mountainboy to MountainMAN.

Respect - solo and on vespa. I aspire dude!

Changes one's perception about what is needed to have a great adventure!

Well done! :)

Eisbein said:
People underestimate those little scooters all the time.

I had a P150X. I loved everything about it (and still do) - that weird sounding hooter that goes up and down in pitch with the engine revs, the alternating forward/backward indicator pattern, the sound, the gears on the handle bar, the seating arrangement, the little cup for measuring the two-stroke, the spare wheel (especially the spare wheel), that little hammer looking multitool that you can use to basically take anything off the bike (head, sparkplug, wheels, exhaust - name it and that tool fits it).

What I don't miss is the small wheels on sand, getting the stupid fuel tap back into place when you try to put the tank back in and maybe the 100km/h top speed. Oh and the short front wheel travel and flimsy brakes...

I rode mine like a scrambler.

You go for showing those @GATT boys that you don't need a big budget to see the outdoors - you just need something that was designed by the Italians back when making it indestructible was more important than making it pretty, a will to do it and slightly more time and patience than what they use.

10/10 !

Eisbeen: your words rock!!. The nostalge of a Vespa is unmistakable

I am,also,blown away by the response of all the forum members.Really was'nt sure if anyone would "get" driving a Vespa but WOW - you guys are awesome.The respect shown to a little scooter is amazing

To answer some of the questions asked so far:
-the scooter is no longer mine.Gave it to my Dad for his 60th so still get to ride the little beast from time to time.She's very consistant.And no -would NEVA sell her to some yup
-she's done more off road (and more technical stuff too) than my GS (so far)
-fuel consumption is about 40km/l but I've scored up to 45 km really cruising at 60km/hr
- I love Robert from Worcestor -one crazy dude.Did loads of trips with him
-Still have this idea of taking her up Matroosberg one day. I'll see how that pans out.
-and I've never had any mechanical problems on any trip.Not even a flat.

With permission if this forum - would love to make this little Vespa an official Wild Dog Pup :lol:

I'm by no means an authority, but I'd say permission granted! :D :D :D

Well done Mountainboy :thumbleft:

Fantastic report, loved the humor.

9/11 on
In regards to the Vespa's in the Fish River, there were three of them. The guys wanted to see if they could complete the Fish River Trail on the bikes, i think they were a bit optimistic!

If you ever do one thing in life, you should walk the fish river and check out the bikes, when you hit Ais-Ais, read the story at the bar
9/11 off

Thanks again for the nice report, the change is refreshing :wink:

Ya ,that fish iver canyon thing was cool but crazy

I'm actually vice chair of the vespa club and have some old footage of that trip -really was insane what those boys did.

I'll try to get some old pics and post it on this forum.Now that's adventure!!! :colors:

done -I'll get on it straight away
-sorry boss,that report will only ready by Monday (or tuesday :D )

Mountainboy

You now officially count among the Wild Dogs in the 2nd part of my signature. :D

If we can get it sponsored I will go as far as to say that I will also do a trip like Trailrider is planning (up Sanipass) with a vespa. (But it HAS to be a 80's model P150x or P200x)

:D

B.t.w my wife and I (when she was still my girfriend) went on a trip or two with the Vespa club - including the very 1st one in 1995. Great times.

If we can pull off the sponsorship thing -I'll be there in a jiff.

Vespa up sani pass is what legends are made off.

Brilliant idea :D