Chain repairs - Masterlink installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDOG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
This evening is the first night I have had to myself in a long time - the Betterhalf and offspring are on holiday with the in-laws. I miss them, but it is good to have some tinkering time.

I am doing a ride this weekend so I thought to unpack all stuff from last ride and make sure all is well, add new goodies, etc. Whilst doing so I remembered, well stumbled onto it, that I had recently bought a tool which presses the pins out a a chain. This pin press is used to prepare a broken chain for the installation of a masterlink.

24072007061_A.jpg

24072007062_A.jpg

24072007064_A.jpg

The spare piece of chain was an old piece from a previous chain.

The press worked like a charm (althought the pin end seems a bit soft, so shouldnt practice too often).

My question to you boffs is the following:
From previous experience, getting the "figure-of-eight" plate onto the masterlink and pressed tight enough to allow the spring steel "plit-pin" to be installed takes much patience with the general tools in a riding bag. I had to manipulate it slowly and gently with a standard pair of pliers. I'm not sure that this is the correct method to ensure that the structure of the masterlink remains uncompromised.
Is there a press of some sorts which can press this plate on?