Changing startup/splash screen on (most) Garmins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
This piece of software from Garmin - xImage download or xImage agreement or xImage redirect - allows you to change the startup or splash screen on your Garmin GPS.

The download warning does mention it should only be used for compatible GPS units, but I didn't find a list of compatible units... Have used it on my GPSMAP 276C (software ver5.2) with no hassles.

Once you've installed the program (will be found under Start -> Programs -> Garmin -> xImage), run it and it'll almost step you through the whole process.

NB! For the first connect, choose to download the startup screen so that you can:
a) Save a copy of it somewhere as a back-up
b) Check the properties of the original image to see what size (dimensions in pixels) and color depth (in bits) your new image needs to be
c) Confirm the filename your new file needs to have
d) Confirm the format in which the new file needs to be saved

When you upload a new file to the GPS, ensure it has the same name as the original downloaded file.

For my 276C, I found the spash screen to be:
* .BMP picture named 
Splash Screen.bmp
* Picture is 480 x 320 pixels
* Colour depth is 8-bit
* File size is 154 678 bytes (151 kB)

From the xImage software I gather one can do the same to upload custom waypoint images. I have not tried this (yet), so cannot comment, but should be straightforward if one follows the above principles.

I'll not be responsible for screwing up your GPS if you try this. :) Own risk applies.

(Edit: Corrected broken URL, 20091006@1727)