Cheap DS bikes - a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
I will soon be looking to buy an old DS bike around 20-30 thousand runt ( I know, I am poor - what can I do?).

I did a lot of research so far using the "search" facility and found some good info, but some gaps remain which I hope some wise dogs would be able to assist with.

As I am looking in the 600-750 class only it seems that my options are -

If more dirt orientated - XR600 / 650, TT600 or DR650
If more "all rounder" - XTZ660 Tenere, XT600E, Africa Twin (AT), GS650 and previous KLR650.

I must, however, immediately discard the AT, GS and KLR  for reasons relating to personal preferances.

Now the questions (leaving out the AT, GS and old KLR)-

Apart from the DR, which is still current, what was the end year models for the above bikes (from official dealers)?
Am I correct in saying that the Honda XL650 was never officially imported into SA - if so what a great pity!
It seems the 600E and AT are the only ones with a happy button.
On the 600E - was it an official import?, does it have a back-up kickstart?,
what is the tank capacity? and are long range tanks available for it?
Are there any other Japanese DS bikes to consider in the 650-750 range falling within the mentioned price bracket which I have ommitted.

My logic, during those rare moments when I have a lucid interval ;D , goes like this -

Tenere (big tank, comfy seat, but difficult to find good examples these days); XT600E (electric start); XR 600/650 (best off-road but will have to spend moola on better seats and larger tanks); DR 650 (must also spend too much to modify - ask Luckystriker ;D); TT600 (not suitable for riding long distances).

Thanks guys. Any help will be appreciated.