China Pete's XR650R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dux

Bachelor Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I suppose I am a performance junkie of note , as long as I can remember I have wanted my bikes to go better , stop better , handle better and yet still be reliable . Every now and again I will have a client wanting work done to their bikes that is over and above normal servicing .
Pete came along and we were discussing the pro's and con's of the XRR's , and I must admit that the pro's far outweigh the con's , but along the way the XR was delivered to me and discussions started around modifications that could be done to the bike , now power corrupts so it was decided that this would be a very corrupted bike . The decision was made to support local where possible although certain items were only available ex the good old US of A , certain local suppliers didn't bother replying to my emails or phone calls so those items were also added to the import list .
So to start with we have one standard XR650R with a full Arrows exhaust fitted , otherwise the bike is stock , over the next few weeks I will be stripping the bike down to bare frame and start reassembling with a few performance items and lots of TLC .
Just to wet the appetite here are a few of the items that are going into or onto the bike .
Motor wise we have a Mikuni TM40 carburettor , Ross 11:1 piston kit - this is an absolute jewel and it is a sin to hide it inside the motor , XR's Only HRC replica camshaft , CV4 silicone radiator hose kit , high flow thermostat and a high pressure radiator cap . Now this is going to be a pretty pokey little engine so we are running a set of XR's Only  heavy duty clutch springs to control what is there . Once I have stripped the engine I will decide if anything else needs replacing .  The triangular bits next to the springs are high flow vents for the airbox .
Suspension wise I have had good results over the years with Race Tech , so their finest is being installed front and rear , of course these will all be running on Pivot Works swingarm , swingarm linkage and steering head bearing and seal kits . And to assist the suspension is a GPR steering damper and triple clamp which has the added advantage of holding the handlebars further forward than the stock clamps .
XR’s only also supplied the rack and footpegs , these things are uber cool , and then to keep a track of everything there is a Trail Tech Vapor computer .
So keep an eye on this thread , I will post pics as I progress through the rebuild

Attachments

• Peter's XR - 1 002.JPG
    Peter's XR - 1 002.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,765
  • Spares for Pete's XRR 001.JPG
    Spares for Pete's XRR 001.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Spares for Pete's XRR 007.JPG
    Spares for Pete's XRR 007.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,711
  • Spares for Pete's XRR 009.JPG
    Spares for Pete's XRR 009.JPG