Clarens Beer Festival trip (well missed the festival, but we were there)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYCAN

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This is a story of a 2 man WD pack, who winged it to a small tourist town on the edge of Lesotho over a weekend during which it is fully booked and over run by people due to a festival in honour of a magic liquid which humans refer to as beer.
Trip summary:
Distance:  1380km
Time period:  2days
Planning style: wing it

The Monday before the Beer Festival in Clarens Macjohnw and I were talking about the need we had for a bike trip somewhere, but we didn’t know where to. We only knew that we wanted to ride a good distance and then camp/stay over, and head back the next day. The conclusion was then that Macjohnw will come through to Lydenburg from White River on Friday afternoon. We will then braai at my house and consult the map on the heading for Saturday.

Wednesday evening Macjohnw reminded me of the Clarens Beer festival the weekend, and there and then we decided that the destination was set. Being exhausted by all this planning, accommodation booking was left for the next day. Thursday morning I got on the internet, but due to this not being an actual thing I found myself still sitting on my couch, so then I tried my laptop and found a couple of booking sites that showed which places are still available for the weekend (I think that these were just  government instituted lies), because all of the inquiries I made were shot  down due to not being available. Apparently you need to make bookings in advance; this is a human term that refers to roughly 6 months before the intended visit. This however has no relevance in my life, and thus I found and read the thread on “camping next to the road”. Friday we found out that Golden Gate Park does actually believe in conserving the Wild Dog in its natural habitat (and behaviour), and they said that we could just pitch up and find a spot to camp. Paper work and payments can be done later. Accommodation…sorted

Attachments

• clarens trip february 2013.jpg
    clarens trip february 2013.jpg
    93.7 KB
Friday was a looooong day at work, found myself already thinking about the ride to Clarens and back. Work ended and Macjohnw pulled in at my house with his 1150GSA packed for the trip. So, as many times before, we lost track of time while laughing and having a braai. Time waits for no one, and thus at 22h00 I started packing my GSA. We also decided that sleep will only make things worse, so we will start riding at midnight and be in Clarens in time for breakfast. Even though it was dark out, our hearts were set on back roads and not highways…later we will regret (ever so slightly) this choice.

Midnight found us geared up and ready to go, another couple of laughs and pictures as well as messages to other riding buddies who are staying home, we saddled up and put those boxer engines in gear. Sure that the other people in my complex didn’t appreciate the sounds of freedom as much as we did.

Lydenburg was quiet as sleeping, and the dead of night gave way to the sound of fully packed GSA’s heading out towards Dullstroom and Belfast. Due to the condition of the road, I rode in front with the spot lights in order to have a better view of the potholes and possible avoidance path. The moon light was bright and the wind had a pleasant chill to it. Half way towards Dullstroom we encountered mist, this made for the need to concentrate and slower riding. There were intermittent areas of clearness, but they were few and far between. Close to Dullstroom we saw a small jackal-like animal just chilling on the road and admiring our iron horses. He didn’t even move as we past him. Dullstroom was quiet as always and Belsfast only had a few people moving around as we thundered through. Outside of Belfast we pulled into the 1 Stop and Macjohnw filled up his tank with so ‘Go-juice’. Triumph had an add for their new model posted up. A cup of coffee and biltong snack, few jokes and we headed towards Carolina.

Attachments

• 1 the begining.JPG
    1 the begining.JPG
    56 KB
  • 2 belfast 1.JPG
    2 belfast 1.JPG
    50.3 KB
  • 3 belfast 2.JPG
    3 belfast 2.JPG
    55.1 KB
Geez, who's sexy grey PEEG is that??? It must be a real man riding it.....

:pot:

macjohnw said:
Geez, who's sexy grey PEEG is that??? It must be a real man riding it.....

:pot:

This from the guy with all the MACTION (man action) fantasies the (w)hole of last week, wonder when this phase is going to (p)ass?  ???

Time for the next leg of the installment...turn key and starter on, 1st gear and wheels rolling  :ricky:

The road to Carolina was beautiful and no mist meant that we could open the throttles and enjoy the bends with the moon light helping us along. Carolina came up fast and filled the rear view mirrors just as fast. That nice road surface changed to potholes which grew ever more dense, the mist grew thicker and the speedometer metamorphed to a slowmeter.

But we carried on, and Ermelo started to take shape like those gorillas in the mist that I read about once. We were heading into the graveyard shift of night traveling. It was time for me to get so ‘go-juice’, an coffee with sugar and a garage fudge gave as a little more energy for the road ahead.

The fuel assistant warned us that the mist is only going to become worse until 8am. like when rain is predicted, we questioned the science behind this statement...surely he must be wrong

GPS on and Ladysmith as a destination, we charged into the mist. We saw some people jogging and cyclists who seemed to have a death wish for being on the road in that mist, can hardly see the light from oncoming vehicles, how much less the reflection off someone’s eyes before you hit them (however wide they may become with fear).

GPS screen as a rough guide, we powered on through the mist at a good cruising speed. After a while the mist let up and we started seeing the sun break through to our left behind the mountains. The plan was to keep on going until the sun came over the mountains and then indicate to Macjohnw to stop and enjoy the sunrise. We had fun going through the tight bends, the faint sunlight made for the ability to really gun it. Out of the bends, it was almost time to stop for the sunrise.

All of sudden the mist wrapped around us, the awaited sunrise stop was scratched of the books and we were back on using the GPS screen as a guide for the road layout. It started to feel like we were being hunted, the mist kept giving us hope of lifting off but never did.

We pulled in at a filling station in Newcastle. We dismounted and found that the hard pavement was a welcomed comforting bed and we stretched out our backs. The humans around us found this very strange and kept their distance as they walked around us into the shop.

Even the couple of bikers who stopped there did not think that we were having fun, no envy noted at all….

Attachments

• 4 Ermelo.JPG
    4 Ermelo.JPG
    73.2 KB
  • 5 Newcastle.JPG
    5 Newcastle.JPG
    62.9 KB
Bliksem sulke gepakte bikes laat my gat sommer jeuk vir 'n trip!

Gooi nog.  :thumleft:

We got up and felt much better after a few minutes, Ladysmith to Clarens route was estimated at a 2hour trip by the GPS.

We consulted the roadmap book, and decided that we had a better and shorter route in mind. It would take us to the N3 and then onwards to Bethlehem. The GPS was in one of its moods and had us driving around in a few circles.

Consulted the map book again, and off we went. The mist made its appearance once more, the potholes joined in, but the mist stopped its pursuit and the sun came to our rescue. That made for a leisurely bendy ride, and the throttle-grin illness took us by storm. The tar ended abruptly and we found the turn off towards Harismith.

Now, on a normal day and conditions, the 86km gravel road might have seen us meerkating our way through. But with concentrations dwindling and a beer festival waiting, we wanted tar and speed. After stopping a car driving past, we established that the tar continues just a short way straight ahead. So, no need to turn off on the gravel route towards Harismith.

The potholes started to ease up on us as well, and we opened up those boxer engines to a cruising speed of 160+. The N3 showed its face soon enough followed by the Bethlehem turn off. The enjoyment took hold of us and we played all the way. In Bethlehem we stopped for ‘go-juice’, those boxers get quite thirsty with open throttles. Thought of stopping for a breather, but opted for getting to Clarens instead. This choice had us standing at road works in the sun and full ATGATT.

Attachments

• 6 722andR34.JPG
    6 722andR34.JPG
    67.1 KB
Lekkerrrrrr, het julle deur my site gery op die N11 Hendrina/Ermelo pad of is julle Chrissiesmeer om? Daai Total garage is my jol plek ;D

Labrat said:
Lekkerrrrrr, het julle deur my site gery op die N11 Hendrina/Ermelo pad of is julle Chrissiesmeer om? Daai Total garage is my jol plek ;D

Kan nie vir jou se nie, ken nie daardie wereld nie, maar van wat ek gesien het is dit pragtig en wil ek weer soontoe. Ons was deur padwerke so ent voor Newcastle

Jou speel plek was toe daardie tyd van die oggend, maar daardie tonnels het lekker gelyk

Reg, nou tyd vir Clarens

Soon enough that was forgotten and we were enjoying the even tar at an even speed towards Clarens. Seeing that we missed breakfast, we opted for brunch and a captain and coke in Clarens. The sun was hot and queues were long, so we rested in the shade for a bit planned our next move carefully.

After 10hours in the saddle and difficult ridding we wanted an afternoon nap, so after eating and rehydrating Golden Gate park was the next stop. Further bends and peaceful scenery later, we set up camp in the shade. Might not have been an actual camp site, but we were happy with it and it had ablation adjacent. Very comfortable; except for the people who kept on walking through our camp. But  I did move my bike when I realised that it was standing in the path for the ablution block.

The nap was just the thing we needed, and we woke up refreshed and ready to take the Beer festival on with everything we had. A cup of coffee, and ATGATT on we mounted up and started our journey to Clarens. A quick stop to greet some friends and have a chat, they were just a few tents from us.

An hour later we headed to the Beer Festival, amped for a jol.

On arrival in Clarens we realised that the festival was over and done with, or so it seemed. So then we took in a seat at the one restaurant with bar and had some dinner. Laughs and captains as a side dish.

The ride back to Golden Gate was awe-inspiring, full moon with mountain outlines with the only thing to guide you being your head lamps. Settled in for the night, the thought of the next day’s ride rolling around in my head.

Attachments

• 7 golden gate.JPG
    7 golden gate.JPG
    92.3 KB
  • 8 golden gate 2.JPG
    8 golden gate 2.JPG
    123.8 KB
The lesser spotted Young One species. Very shy and makes little pee-pee wet marks on the ground when approached suddenly. Known to bite when cornered or when feeling threatened. Seen here in his summer camouflage fur, blending in very well into his natural surroundings.

Highly intelligent creature, yet has very limited GPS type devices capabilities. A solitary creature by nature, but responds well to BMW GS type stimulation. Can survive without sleep for prolonged periods of time to the extent of zoning out and getting a glazy eyed 1000 yard stare. Has an aura of deep thinking, but repeated real time tests have proven this to be a survival mechanism to ward of unwanted attention - perceived as "Dont give a shit".

Natural foods such as Captain Morgan, KWV Brandy and ample supply of Coke sustains this interesting creature sufficiently. Occasional vegetables such as sirloin steak and pizza supplement this complex diet.

When encountered, avoid direct eye contact, ignore any strange sounds and smells - slowly move backwards, turn around and run like a bat out of hell. 

Attachments

• 20130223_130210 (Large).jpg
    20130223_130210 (Large).jpg
    288.2 KB
Isn't the ride through Golden Gate the best .... I woke up Saturday in Clarens ready to jump onto a bike a go for a morning ride through the mountains .... only to realise .... no bike .... Damn could only dream :biggrin:

Sunday morning, and all was quiet…well except for the guy who was throwing up once again in the distance. Other people were whispering, possibly due to sharing secrets but most likely due to fostering a hangover.

While packing up camp, a friend of Macjohnw invited us for a braai at her place in Centurion. The answer was yes, and the route was through Golden Gate park to Harrismith and on the N3 through JHB and into Centurion.

But first we needed to stop en pay for the camp site we occupied, honesty is the best...

After that was done, we winded our way through the mountains road and out of the park. This is a ride that everyone should do at least once. We found Harrismith deserted and stopped at the 1 stop complex for breakfast/brunch. 

The hunger got the better of me, so just imagine the breakfast still on the plate.

We mounted the beasts again, and the N3 opened up for us. Being a freeway there weren't many interesting things to share. We covered around 200km before we pulled in outside JHB for a fuel stop and lots of water for rehydration. The temperature was clocked in at 37.5 C according  to my bike. Big sweat factor.

Pointed and fired the bikes through JHB traffic and into Centurion, as always we arrived late and the braai was done with. But food was kept out for us and we enjoyed the company while waiting for the sun to set and break the heat somewhat.

Attachments

• 9 coffee set up.JPG
    9 coffee set up.JPG
    63.9 KB
  • 10 golden gate 3.JPG
    10 golden gate 3.JPG
    84.1 KB
  • 11 harismith.JPG
    11 harismith.JPG
    59.1 KB
After sunset we headed out of town, but had to stop at The Rose filling station. I needed to get some cash for the toll gates (working on getting a petrol card again, it is a process).

The chakalaka of the morning’s breakfast didn’t agree with Macjohnw, so he used the opportunity to create a biohazard zone that started to peal the paint of the walls. Needless to say, we had to high tail it out of there.

The N4 was a wonderful ride and we soon pulled into ALZU, this was the point where we were to say our goodbyes and split up. Me towards Lydenburg, and Macjohnw to White River. Had to adjust our gear as well, due to the temperature dropping low.

While enjoying a coffee and discussing the past 2 days, we were approached be cage driver. Turns out that he is also a biker, and thinking about getting into the DS adventure life. Very nice guy and we had a good chat, advised him to join our community

We split up, and on my way to Lydenburg I was joined by our old friends namely mist and potholes. Took me almost 2 hours to cover 80km, reached home tired but very happy

Attachments

• 14 the rose.JPG
    14 the rose.JPG
    59.3 KB
  • 16 alzu.JPG
    16 alzu.JPG
    49.5 KB
  • 17 dullstroom.JPG
    17 dullstroom.JPG
    25.1 KB