Clarens for Newbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geriatrix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Last week wifey ( Chili Rider, who is too shy to introduce herself despite my nagging .New F 650 GS) and I spent five days in Clarens.
I was worried about the N1 home on Sunday afternoon so used the trailer to take the bikes via Kroonstad. This was a BAD move since there were a lot of potholes between Kroonstad and Bethlehem, and the road home was quiet enough for us to have ridden comfortably.
We stayed at the Millpond House B&B 468 Cilliers street, Clarens, (058)256-1530; [email protected]; www.millpondhouse.co.za . Excellent place to stay and within easy walking distance of the many eateries of Clarens. One of these was Cafe Moulin - NO ambiance, service not great, but great pizzas.
One day ride via Golden Gate with plenty of easy twisties and only one turn with a significant decreasing radius, past Sterkfontein Dam to Olivershoek. We wanted to stop at the Catfish and Caterpiller but there was a Mercedes climbing into Teresa's exhaust so I missed the turn ( on the right immediately after the sharp right turn as KZN and the top of the pumped storage tunnels can be seen ).
We had morning coffee at Little Switzerland - nice.
Easy ride down the rest of the Pass ( ! POTHOLES!) to Royal Natal National Park and back via the Rugged Glen road. We had lunch at the Catfish and Caterpiller - I can also recommend this. Nice ride back to Clarens.
Next day to Fouriesburg ( a dump ) then down Caledonpoort and then back and on to Ficksburg for coffee. Great road for us, but like all roads in the area some potholes. Spent the rest of the day being tourists in Clarens.
Third day spend exploring Golden gate - very highly recommended for the views and the roads. Some of the streams are deeper than they look so take it slowly.
On Sunday home via Bethlehem and Sasolburg - this road is much better than the N1 and Kroonstad. The new N1 / Western Bypass is going to be a great road for riding around Johannesburg, always providing that there is some law enforcement.

As soon as I can figure out how to post photographs ( there have been several posts about this, but I need some time).

Chili Rider Golden Gate area.

_IGP5160small.jpg

Golden Gate area

_IGP5140small.jpg

GG2_fusedsmall.jpg

Ash River - outflow from the Highlands Water Scheme.

_IGP5116small.jpg

Pipe from the outflow tunnel.

_IGP5128small.jpg