Cocktails in Zanzibar with a Twist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian in Great Brak River said:
What's the history of your GS ... I have a mate who's seriously keen on getting one of these for a Nam trip.

Ive had my GS for three years, I really enjoy it ... I had a problem with the fuel pump about a year ago, started cutting out on long rides, i replaced it with an aftermarket one and cleaned the fuel filter ( was pretty dirty ) and that sorted it out ... I would also change all of the bearings on my bike, after what happened on this trip ( PM Moondog, he knows which ones are good )

But otherwise i totally back the 800GS, top bike

Awesome trip!!!

The truck driver tells me there is no fuel at Lundazi, so I send some fuel up with him, refuel my bike and spend another night at Mama Rula’s, ready for an early start. The truck driver cant believe im riding to Zanzibar to see my girlfriend for 6 days, I don’t tell him that she is flying there and back and leave him remembering my journey as an epic journey of love which he’ll probably tell his friends about for years to come …

Haha!!  :laughing4:

We're waiting for more...

Bloody hell ... this is life ... i hate my life  :'(

Day 7 : Take 2

All seems good with the new back bearing and I pass the spot where I broke down the day before, HAPPINESS !! Its new years eve tonight and I want to be skinny dipping in Lake Malawi at about 3 in the morn. A few k’s later the front end goes wobbly and I have a puncture, but no stress, I pull out a tyreweld and inflate the tube as some locals watch in anticipation, but alas, the tube is flat again in a minute so I haul out my tools and a sad looking puncture repair kit from my cycling days with only a self adhesive patch, 1 small patch and some super glue that I put in the night before I left because the special glue was finished.  Myself and some locals fix the puncture, I organize someone to get a bicycle pump because I don’t have a pump ( I tried to buy one but all where sold out and no stock a few days before xmas ) and the puncture is fixed and I’m on the road again.

roadtolungazi.jpg

Road to Lundazi take 2

1stpuncture.jpg

Fixing my 1st puncture

30k’s later I have another puncture, take out the tube and the 1st patch has come off, luckily everyone rides a bicycle in Zambia so I buy some patches and proper glue from a little shop and with a puncture repair team of note helping me I’m off in no time. I meet up with the truck driver in Lundazi, where there is no fuel, get my fuel, refuel and strap about 13 l’s to my bike for Malawi. Things are looking up, I cross the border to Malawi and start riding on a really cool little dirt road, this is special !!

2ndpuncture.jpg

Fixing my 2nd puncture

fuelinlundazi.jpg

Refueling in Lundazi as well as strapping 2 x 5l's of petrol onto my bike for Malawi

zambianhelper.jpg

My truck driver friend, he really helped me out

malawisideofborder.jpg

As you get into Malawi

wetroads.jpg

Some puddles

I then get a 3rd puncture, same patch off again, fix it, ride on dirt roads which become little rivers in torrential rain, eventually hit the tar road, sun is out and not to far to Kande Beach … Then a 4th puncture, patches always come off, fix it but cant inflate tyre fully with truck compresser, so try and ride slowly the 15k’s to a petrol station at Mzuzu but tyre is flat again after 5k’s … Its now pretty much dark on new years eve in the middle of Malawi, not ideal … I now ride on a flat wheel to a permanent police roadblock about 2k’s down the road, unload my bike, ask the cops to watch it over night and catch a ride with a local family to Mzuzu from where I want to catch a minibus to Nkatha Bay for New years. In the car I start thinking that going to Nkatha Bay is not a great idea, im going to wake up with a babalaas and only find my way back to my bike pretty late the next morn, so I ask the family if I can pitch my tent in their garden, they agree and actually insist that I sleep in the kids bed and make a lekker meal of fish, pap and gravy. What a special, kind hearted family, I buy some beers and we have a chilled night, not what I planned for new years, but definitely a new years eve I’ll never forget !!

3rdpuncture.jpg

3rd Puncture

riverroads.jpg

Roads becoming rivers

slippery.jpg

Slipped off the road

happytoseetar.jpg

Happy to see tar and sunshine

4thpuncture.jpg

4th puncture

malawianshome.jpg

Malawian family's house

It's that tyreweld that is leaking out and makeing the patches come off.
I learned that lesson after nine patches on one day in the Namibian heat. :biggrin:

lekker... chris may be right about tyre weld but i reckon its the local maccies hoping for return business  ;D

Nice one. So it's Sunday morning, I'll be back tonight and you have all day to finish the report, ne?

Pretty, please...... :3some: :ricky:

chrisL said:
I learned that lesson after nine patches on one day in the Namibian heat. :biggrin:
Agree 100%, once that sh#t is used you can throw away the tube, also had a nice experience with that stuff. :eek7:

Jakkals said:
chrisL said:
Agree 100%, once that sh#t is used you can throw away the tube, also had a nice experience with that stuff. :eek7:

Tyreweld is made for tubeless tyres. I've never heard of it working with a tube.

Great RR, keep it coming please!

chrisL said:

100% true ChrisL.

Also on a tubeless tyre, that sh!t makes the plugs pop out!

Will never use it again  :thumleft:

Gr8 RR = thanks for sharing so far.  :3some:

Leo said:
chrisL said:

100% true ChrisL.

Also on a tubeless tyre, that sh!t makes the plugs pop out!

Will never use it again  :thumleft:

Gr8 RR = thanks for sharing so far.  :3some:

Thanks, you live and learn, don't reckon ill be using it either, I had 2 and thought that would cover me as far as punctures were concerned ...