Collecting my bike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud500 (R.I.P)

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So Friday I flew up to JHB and PTA to collect my bike from Bavarian Cycles. Of course the flight was delayed by 90min and then the luggage a further 30min etc. etc.
The plan was to spend the night on a farm near Loskop Dam. Do a breakfast run with the folks on Sunday and ride back to Durban on Monday.

Arriving on the farm at 20h30 after 150km of tar and 30km of dirt and sand in the dark. A fellow member on this site learnt a lesson regarding packing booze in the topbox.

IMGP1073.jpg

My bike after unpacking

IMGP1075.jpg

Campfire that night

IMGP1078.jpg

Saturday morning. This was our accomodation for the night. They had a devasting bushfire earlier in the year.

IMGP1082.jpg

Preparing breakfast in the "openplan" kitchen.

IMGP1083.jpg

On our way back later that Saturday. HardCor negotiating some nice sand. This was a lot easier in daylight.

IMGP1089.jpg

My ride and the sandy road.

IMGP1091.jpg

HardCor coming on.

IMGP1093.jpg

Drinks break on the Balmoral road on our way back to PTA. It was scorching hot on Saturday afternoon.

IMGP1098.jpg

Looks like your underods and mag (nightime entertainment?) got a bit soggy! Maybe the booze would have survived if it was wrapped up in the 'rods? :p

Are there more pics to come?

Congrats Bud, it sure was hot on saturday afternoon.

I opted for spending saturday afternoon at news cafe menlyn chugging cold ones with a mate of mine and my son (he had a milkshake ... verrrry cold one)

On Monday I took the road back to Durban. It was a massive struggle against some serious side winds. So I did'nt take much pics. Also saw loads of Beemers coming back from the GSC.
To hide from the wind I took the Nottingham Road loop for some fun. And stopped for a drink and a pic.

IMGP1112.jpg

I am loving this bike and already doing more trip planning. The first probably being Lesotho in 2 weeks or so. Dunno when the CR will get attention again.

The topbox had 6 Storms in there. None broke, about 2 was half full and the rest empty. That is why you should always carry 12 with you, to improve the odds.

That is a very wet and sticky neckwarmer. Luckily the vacuumpacked Beefstew was still useable. But we lost the Rusks. :lol:

bud500 said:
IMGP1112.jpg

I am loving this bike and already doing more trip planning.

Very cool pic! (I think it is a September photo competition candidate) Looking forward to the ride reports.

Congrats, many happy and safe miles! I also rode back from the Freestate on Monday, that wind did cause some uneven tyre wear.... :D

Keep us posted on future plans, will do the same from this side!

Enjoy!

Congrats Bud! Hope you have many safe km's on her.

Perfect way to collect a bike. Immediately some dirt and camping!

Congrats man, may you and the new partner have many safe and happy trips together.

Congrats bud!!!

pity about the incident with the top box. Same thing happened to me on my first trip - The top box is no place for breakables or spillables unless you pad everything really well

again; CONGRATS!