Commuting Advice - Centurion to Edenvale/Kempton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Good morning all

I still need to write my learner license, but in the meantime I am keeping my eye on traffic and generally overthinking things.

I commute everyday in the cage from Centurion West to Edenvale via the N1. I leave before 06:00 in the mornings and return some time around 16:00 or later in the afternoon.

I would ideally like to commute with my 250 Tornado. Although I probably would not save much in fuel/maintenance.

So my question to the guys and girls on the same commute, what would be the best route for me to take?

I've went on a few early morning "test runs":
* On the N1 I can maintain 100km/h most of the way except for one or two hills where speed drops to about 80-75km/h. Even sticking to the left lane, this feels sort of unsafe. Should I go into the emergency lane or is this frowned upon?
* I can also go via the R101 and then Allandale and Zuurfontein. There are however quite a number of taxis on the last stretch Zuurfontein.
* Or I can follow R101 and get onto Marlboro from there.

Any suggestions? Any good gravel shortcuts between Modderfontein and Allendale? Or should I rather stick to commuting in the cage? Or should I get a 300cc scooter which would probably make a better commuter, but look gay? Getting a 650cc bike is not an option for now  :(