Cut out with a Bang.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
Hey XRL dudes...
Question.
In the 3000km I have had my 650L, this has happened only twice. First time I ignored, second time bugged me. So hopefully I can explain it well enough.

Both times (maybe completely irrelevant) I was slowing down, gearing down before a corner or stop, when I suddenly hear a CLANK/POP under me and the engine cuts out.
I freewheeled to a safe spot, check, everything seems fine, start and ride off with no issues.

I still have a stock pipe on, and I know how a backfire sounds (it sounds like popcorn, and it comes from the pipe). This sound was not the same. It felt like it came from under me. It's more of a "someone threw a screw against an empty coke can" kind of sound. It clanks, and cuts out at the same time. And both times it restarted without issues.

My very trustworthy and skilled in 'the ways of the mechanical' guy agrees that it isn't running lean. I don't know enough about detonation/pinging/pre-ignition to assume things...

Any ideas, previous experience on this? Should I be worried?

=)

thanks

M
O0