Bike buyer scam? Can you figure out this one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I am selling my KTM 390 Adventure, advertising on a few different platforms.

Every time my ad gets renewed on Facebook or Gumtree, I get a call from this guy who does not realise that he has called me before.
I am sure he is a scamster, but I cannot figure out exactly how he intents to carry out his scam.
Perhaps someone here knows.

It is always the exact same story:
He claims to be Moses in Kuruman. He wants to buy the bike (unseen).
His friend, Lucas drives a truck between Cape Town and Kuruman.
Lucas will call me to make arrangements.
I am to meet Lucas somewhere, who will then accompany me to the bank to do a cash deposit into my account.
Moses will then come to Cape Town 2 weeks later to collect the bike.

It sounds legit as far as payment goes, being in cash… however what bothers me, is that Lucas will not view the bike, he is just making payment and Moses is buying the bike unseen. Moses claims that Lucas is making payment to secure the bike for Moses, so that it does not get sold before Moses can come collect it.

I do not trust either Moses nor Lucas. They just sound very suspect on the phone.
The fact that this happens every time my ad is renewed on FB and Gumtree, is a major red flag to me.
I bet they are responding to many ads like this.
Today, Lucas slipped up a bit… he called about the “car” that Moses wants to buy… another red flag.
Can anyone figure out their scam?