Dakar power connection for electrical compressor pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlekkie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I recently bought a F 650 GS Dakar again and have the following problem with its current set-up:  The standard Hella plug on the bike has a 10A (if memory serves) fuse and most of the compressor pumps I've seen has a higher than 10A rating.  I am no electrician but it makes sense that when I try and connect the higher rated pump to the plug that the fuse would burn out.  It therefore doesn't help me to get a Hella to Sigaret lighter plug conversion to use the pump as the fuse on the circuit is the problem.  I have previously bought a sigaret lighter socket with crocodile clamps that you can connect to the battery direct and that worked like a charm on my 1200GS...  Problem is that with the Dakar this is too much of a mission as the battery is hidden in the fake tank.  I was wondering if any of you know whether the Dakar has a point removed from the battery that is easily accesible where I can safely connect the clamps to have power for the socket (like a jumpstart battery point - like I said I am not an electrician and if this idea is totally crazy - please tell me!).  If this is not an option - I surely can't replace the 10A fuse with a 15A one?  As far as I know there are other components running on that circuit and changing the fuse would surely fry something...

If none of this is an option, then I will just connect wires to the battery direct, with an in-line fuse that ends in a sigaret lighter socket which I can mount next to the Hella Plug..  I've seen some 4x4 type ones that have a cap on so that it is somewhat protected against dust and some water spray...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!