Dam solo, losing my religion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Well not my religion but my registration plate... aka Number Plate... more on that later.
Last night I started thinking it may be great to go and check out the water flow over either the Gariep or Van der Kloof dam...
Set my alarm for 6 but was far too sleepy when it did go off so went back to sleep until 8:30... relized I had a bundle of washing I started that while I had my usual Wheatbix and coffee... Then asked my daughter if she wanted to pillion and got a negative, so it was to be a Solo...
Eventually got away after 11 and decided to slab it all the way just in case the weather changed... Wise decision...
My first "bene rek" for some Iced Tea was at the Riet River bridge outside Koffiefontein.
Then I filled up in Luckhoff... never been there was main reason...
Then I got to the Dam... WOW!

Attachments

• Photo0334 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0334 (Medium).jpg
    38.5 KB
  • Photo0332 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0332 (Medium).jpg
    51.7 KB
  • Photo0339 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0339 (Medium).jpg
    29 KB
  • Photo0335 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0335 (Medium).jpg
    69.9 KB
  • Photo0340 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0340 (Medium).jpg
    28.6 KB
So without further ado I proceeded to snap away for a good 30 min, from several points after parking the bike. Pics are ale cellphone btw... in my haste I had left the camera on the desk when I grabbed the GPS... wich is now working fine after letting me down in KZN... seemingly it hates being connected to cages... :mwink:

Attachments

• Photo0341 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0341 (Medium).jpg
    46.8 KB
  • Photo0343 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0343 (Medium).jpg
    47.7 KB
  • Photo0345 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0345 (Medium).jpg
    46.6 KB
  • Photo0347 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0347 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB
  • Photo0354 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0354 (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB
Then got back on the bike to head for more vantage points... some better than others and some a tad out of the way...

Attachments

• Photo0364 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0364 (Medium).jpg
    48.3 KB
  • Photo0367 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0367 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB
  • Photo0365 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0365 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB
  • Photo0362 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0362 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB
  • Photo0357 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0357 (Medium).jpg
    20.8 KB
thanks robc  :thumleft:

incredible sight, wish a fraction of that came to PE  :p

Then I headed off to town proper and took some more along the way...

After that I went to the campsite but it was closed because it was already flooded! Found a shop and bought some biltong, cookies and a coke to add to the apple for lunch.
Sat on the Ribbok Eatery benches and had a feast while chatting to a very disgusted Landie owner... he had just had his diesel filled up with petrol... was waiting for his son and a flatbed to collect basically brand new vehicle... not a happy chappie.
If I were the Ribbok's owner I would have made a killing with posters at the dam saying "Flood special mixed grill and cold beer!" or someshuch... there were a lot of hungry people in town!

Please note... The bike still has it's number plate! :deal:

Attachments

• Photo0370 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0370 (Medium).jpg
    61.6 KB
  • Photo0366 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0366 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB
  • Photo0372 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0372 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB
  • Photo0371 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0371 (Medium).jpg
    53.8 KB
SnakeyXT said:
thanks robc  :thumleft:

incredible sight, wish a fraction of that came to PE  :p
I am sure some is going down your way via the Orange/Fish tunnel from Gariep.
They are holding back starting up the turbines and the sluice gates to try and control the flow so that it does not coincide with what is coming down the Vaal... if Gariep and Van der Kloof were to let rip places like Douglas and downriver from there in the Orange will have severe floods.

So after taking care of the thirst and the worst of the munchies I set of toward home... but by now the weather was turning ominous... with thunder over Van der Kloof! :eek:
As I left a local had mentioned that the dam was rising by about a meter every 2 hours!!! Sounds like they may have to open those turbines and sluice gates soon... pack your bags if you live downriver! :deal:
And more is coming from Lesotho! ::)
I headed back to Luckhoff to take the dirt to fauresmith... hoping that I would not get caught by a thunderstorm... I dislike them a lot after my near miss with Thor... :deal:
Along the way another munchie stop while eyeing the weather, from the rear and ahead...
followed by one of many of these stately creatures that were crossing the road with abandon today.
The only other veicle on this road was... you guessed it... a TAXI! :eek:
We waved at each other... hope he missed the tortoises... ::)

Attachments

• Photo0375 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0375 (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB
  • Photo0374 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0374 (Medium).jpg
    41.7 KB
  • Photo0373 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0373 (Medium).jpg
    30.6 KB
When I reached Fauresmith... parking in the rail right of way btw. I took some snaps of this unusual town while eying the weather once again...
and Lo and Behold... Shrek sans number plate!! mus be somewhere back there towards Luckhoff! :imaposer:
By this time my Nokia's lens was a tad sweaty too I notice... causing some of the blurring in the pictures.

Attachments

• Photo0376 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0376 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB
  • Photo0377 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0377 (Medium).jpg
    71.5 KB
  • Photo0379 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0379 (Medium).jpg
    48.6 KB
So after gulping down another sluk of coke and a lemon cream off it was to Jagersfontein where I filled up again, Fauresmith was dry as far as fuel was concerned...
The thunder was getting closer and the single attendant took her time filling up but at last I was off again... stopped to take a pic of the clouds behind and the way ahead. A way down the road I noticed a turn off to Wurasoord and decided to head East for a while as the slab was sort of leading me into the chain of thunderstorms. This road had recently recieved some rain and was wet in patches... and became wetter and wetter... man I had fun!
Just a pity the only witness to my awesome water crossing was a local... I wonder who got the bigger fright when a wall of water went up! Now I was properly wet without being rained on!

Attachments

• Photo0381 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0381 (Medium).jpg
    47.6 KB
  • Photo0382 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0382 (Medium).jpg
    37.2 KB
  • Photo0383 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0383 (Medium).jpg
    38.3 KB
  • Photo0385 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0385 (Medium).jpg
    44.4 KB
  • Photo0386 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0386 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB
After this little adventure I came to this choice... turned left and headed to a place I had attended school at and bought wilsons toffies and nikkerbols as a kid... not as it was in my day... :-\
Sadly the abandonment of the platteland has some real depressing places... this is one of them. Tierpoort... without the Tiger. ::)

Attachments

• Photo0387 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0387 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB
  • Photo0392 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0392 (Medium).jpg
    56.3 KB
  • Photo0394 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0394 (Medium).jpg
    113.5 KB
  • Photo0391 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0391 (Medium).jpg
    83 KB
  • Photo0388 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0388 (Medium).jpg
    85 KB
So I continued on my way back to Bloem along the train tracks on what was the original N1 before they built tar roads... had some gnarly wet patches to contend with but the old maxim of look up, stand up and open up did it's work as well as the knobby on the rear... I was glad I had one!
Then one last stop for a leak in the long grass and some farewell pics of the bike and scenery for the day... and I was back home again... just in time to take down the washing before the clouds arrived!
My bike and gear are dirty... but my soul is clean after today's ride... :thumleft:

Attachments

• Photo0395 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0395 (Medium).jpg
    31 KB
  • Photo0396 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0396 (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB
  • Photo0398 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0398 (Medium).jpg
    43.2 KB
  • Photo0400 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0400 (Medium).jpg
    82 KB
  • Photo0401 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0401 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB
Lekker solo ride there RobC.

Enjoyed the pics of all the water.....WOW.

The Badger said:
Lekker solo ride there RobC.

Enjoyed the pics of all the water.....WOW.
I was running out of time and did not stop to take pics along the Wurasoord stretch where I did the water crossing... the water was running both sides of the road for about 15k! :thumleft: