De Wildt ride Sunday 10 June 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slide said:
Thanks everyone for a great ride!

I have now found out where the one place is that the 12GS is not very capable. The tech stuff. What a monster to try and make do what you want of it.

I clearly have too much lard and too little muscle - I am still tired and getting stiffer by the minute. All worth it though ;D

True, True, sorry I had to leave you as the only Big Pig rider there, other commitments and the Bike will return to its owner today, so I didn,t want to do any unplanned " mods".

Welsh  ;D

No worries - I caused some other falls as well - Groenie was apparently laughing so hard at me moering of that he did the same 50m further HA HA HA!

Great Report!!
Sorry for missing it, but I was daft and never read where and at what time your guy's were meeting.
And then on Saterday morning I wanted to check......but......no forum...

Lets see is my memory serves me.
We had

4x KLR's (Cono, Groenie, dude and me)
3x KTM 640's (Runners mate, Flying Dutchie, Voodoo)
2x BMW Dakars ( Sillystunt and friend)
1x 1200 GS  (Slide)
1x 1150 GS (Welsh)
1x Husky TE610 (HHHusky)
1x DRZ400 (digitaldan)
1x XR650R (Runner)
1x KLE500 (IDR)
1x DR650 (GRIM)

Nice ride, really enjoyed the section from the water tower down and then pipeline ? Nice open with more speed and some whoops for good measure. The river crossings were also alot of fun. Runner and myself had a good pace going when I left my rucksack at the one shebeen  ;D

Wow awsome stuff guy's I wonder if my old gs'ie would have made it  :-\

Sorry for the late posting, but I was simply too pooped to post last night, and this job thing totally messes with my free-time. What a brilliant ride, and if the ride â??qualityâ? is measured by the number of zip-ties dispensed to keep bikes and gear in one piece this was a winner. Here is DigitalDan and Runner at the very cold start, with a very mixed bag of bikes lining up for the day
Coldstart.jpg

First fun section was the downhill past the water reservoir, and here is Slide at the bottom with his GS on road tires looking cool as a cucumber. I spent some time behind him in the very rough riverbed section, and can confirm that Slide can wrestle a pig. But he was to have some fun later
GSdudeonhill.jpg

Then there was some gnarly winding single-track, which continuously changes from hard sand to fine gravel to very soft sand, and Groenie might recognized this corner as he purchased some real estate under this tree. Maybe he just wanted to lie down in the shade for a while, as it was getting pretty hot
Groeniescorner.jpg

Here is Shark coming up a little climb in the riverbed, and he is obviously bored with it all at this stage, and having a little nap? Stand up, head up!
Sharkriverbed.jpg

Later on there was a bit of a traffic jam, and FlyingDutchman has his hand up to ask if he can go to the bathroom
Riverbed.jpg

Man down!
Mandown.jpg

Well, sort of. The GS proved to be game for everything, but the bash plate turned out to be more of a nudge plate, and Sillystunt helped Slide do some emergency roadside repairs.

First rest stop, but no one went for the Atchar and Chips at R 3.50 â?? what a bargain. Probably has very much the same affect as an enema. I donâ??t even want to start guessing what Voodoo is up to
Shabeenstop.jpg

Then some wonderful riding along the riverbed with many water crossings, and then it was time for some free-styling. Here is Runner showing good style
Runnerjump.jpg

And Sillystunt being silly
Sillystuntjump.jpg

And Groenie being 16 again
Groeniejump.jpg

And then we went playing on some rocks, with some of us playing a bit harder than others. Shark proceeded to do a dance of death with the KLR at the top of this steep rock climb, and while he and the bike were teetering on the edge there was honestly enough time for me to take out my camera and snap an award-winning action shot. But instead I dismounted and helped Sillystunt save the day. At this point my Husky decided to lie down a bit, and I discovered that somewhere in all this fun I had broken my side-stand in half. Here is Shark contemplating what terrible things could have happened
Sharksnemesis.jpg

So what did he learn from all of this â?? apparently very little as he proceeded to do it again â?? photo is unfortunately a "bit" cropped, but second time around was no problem.
SharksrockII.jpg

And here is Sillystunt being silly again
Sillysrock.jpg

And to top it all I did a reasonable job on Coconuts, and had a mother of a wipe-out on the fast sandy track but luckily no damage done and no witnesses. But I think I did use up one of my get-out-of-jail-free cards on that one.  Thanks to Shark for organizing a wonderful days riding, good to meet some new faces, but now I am of to soak in the bath as every muscle in my body is sooo sore.

Great! Bly om te sien iemand het my gevang. Niemand glo my as ek sê Groenie kan jump.

Ek sal nog my pics post. Sukkel bietjie met space constraints...

I've got a few short video clips of that rock, but missed the balancing act performed by Sharky.

I'll freely admit to mixed feelings about missing the ride due to Red with bronchitis.  Think it was a moerse jol, although based on Slide's version, I think the 12 would have been a tough one.  The coconuts? pass without a doubt  :-[ :-[.

I did not take my camera on this ride. The river crossing pics are cool. Anyone have one of the DRZ going through ?

Hi guys. A special thanks to Shark for organising such a great ride. As a newbie to Wilddog and it's adventure rides, it was great to meet you guys and to ride with you. I will definitely join in for the next ride, but have better rubber on the back wheel. Great pics and stop groaning about the pain. I feel noooothing.

Just as a reference, I can prove I have an SMS from the man that states "The route wil be mild"

Welsh  ;D ;D ;D

Some very good action shots there! :cool:

No place for errors on that rock going up! :eek:

Lot's of different conditions. Good going all.

Oh stop whineing everyone!  ;)  It was mild, damn I did it all on a KLR ffsakes!  >:D
Ya, that cheap plaasbike!  :D

Next ride is hetic then , the riverbed, koos se klim, all before the first shabeen !
I'll ride the KDX, we meet at the police station.

shark_za said:
Oh stop whineing everyone!  ;)  It was mild, damn I did it all on a KLR ffsakes!  >:D
Ya, that cheap plaasbike!  :D

Next ride is hetic then , the riverbed, koos se klim, all before the first shabeen !

Whaddya mean: you did it on a plaasbike? Even I managed, sort of, on my plaasbike

So when are we taking the KDX's out there? I might be able to sneak out early Sunday morning......and stay away for the whole day.

shark_za said:

Hell yes, lets go break stuff! >:D

Oh shit, I just remembered that a lot of stuff was broken, and needs to get fixed first, so strictly speaking

Hell yes, lets first fix broken stuff and then go break new/different/other stuff!  ???

Just doesnâ??t have the same ring to it.

Anywhere you go on the plaasbike Iâ??ll follow, but you bring the plastic bike Iâ??m staying home.