DirtyXT's relocation to the big smoke. RR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyTeNeReLess

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
:ricky: so I lost the battle for more work in the Eastern Cape, and are heading back to JHB.  :eek7:

as it turns out my relocation is happening on my bike.  so amongst the packing and sorting out all the removal shit Ive really been looking forward to decent 2/3 day trip to JHB.

Plotting the route now, there has been thought around a quick via Lesotho trip. but dont think that fully loaded and on my ace that would be a good plan. So I'm scheming a scenic run to Bloem and a head to JHB from there.

Anyone have suggestion of a place to stay in bloem? somewhere not too fancy near a semi decent bar for a couple ales.

pictures to follow, some great tales of friendships made in PE. big up to Tiger8 and his epic workman skills I now have a custom made hand built luggage rack after a discussion Sunday at Jules's training.

te6atuha.jpg

friends like this are hard to come by.
y3e8yhe7.jpg

my first proposed leg, leaving late morning hopefully. thinking via Golden Gate will be good via point as Ive never been there on a bike.

jhbcd.jpg

Nimmo in Colesburg is a winner, and a good couple of places in town for a cold one or five - good rates from him as well as a cold beer in the fridge on arrival!!!

See you up here soon :thumleft:

Then Day 3 from Soweto? :imaposer: No more Rear entries up north....up there theres consequences!

Goodluck with your epic journey Leeg and see you soon.

Cheers and safe riding.

edgy said:
Then Day 3 from Soweto? :imaposer: No more Rear entries up north....up there theres consequences!
haha no but staying in the south of Gauteng until the furniture arrives. There is one ride that is almost as hectic. called Mystic Dolphin near harteebeespoort. did it on my KX500... and that was not on the red route either.

Just a suggestion, but:

I did a very Lekker ride from East London last year:-

Day 1 - East London, N2, R409, R61 to Elliot - Barkley Pass - Barkley East - R58 Fairview - Lady Grey - R392, R726 to Zastron - followed the R26 east along the Lesotho border - Wepenar - Hobhouse - Ladybrand - Clocolan - Ficksburg and stopped in Fouriesburg.

Day 2 - Fouriesburg - Clarens - Golden Gate - R57, N5 west to Bethlehem - R26 North - Frankfort - joined the N3 to Jhb at Villiers.

Did this solo - it was a great ride!

If you were to leave PE and stop in Elliot on day 1, Fouriesburg or Clarens on Day 2 - you would be in Jhb before lunch on day 3....

Just a thought!

ClimbingTurtle said:
Just a suggestion, but:

Day 1 - East London, N2, R409, R61 to Elliot - Barkley Pass - Barkley East - R58 Fairview - Lady Grey - R392, R726 to Zastron - followed the R26 east along the Lesotho border - Wepenar - Hobhouse - Ladybrand - Clocolan - Ficksburg and stopped in Fouriesburg.

Day 2 - Fouriesburg - Clarens - Golden Gate - R57, N5 west to Bethlehem - R26 North - Frankfort - joined the N3 to Jhb at Villiers.

If you were to leave PE and stop in Elliot on day 1, Fouriesburg or Clarens on Day 2 - you would be in Jhb before lunch on day 3....

Just a thought!
This will defiantly be a more enjoyable and scenic route, Go for it!!!

Dirt Junkie said:
ClimbingTurtle said:
Just a suggestion, but:

Just a thought!
This will defiantly be a more enjoyable and scenic route, Go for it!!!
Take warm riding gear it gets cold around Lesoto and Golden Gate :deal:

Actually yeah - I did it in April, it was pleasantly warm. You might want to take more clothes than me tho.....

I imagine you could break this into a better 3-day journey than my 2-day - my first day was over 750km, and I only started at 10:30am, so I had to hustle some to get to Fouriesburg before dark. I had planned to camp in Ficksburg, but couldn't find anywhere that I liked - I was then heading to Golden Gate to camp, but ran out of light. Stayed at the Fouriesburg inn instead - I think it was R450 Dinner, Bed & Breakfast? Got a single room - lots of other bikers there - had a few in the bar, Lekker plaaskos and bed.

I reckon a ride from PE to Elliot would be lekker, then do the Fouriesburg or Clarens run - then the flat farmlands of the Free-State for a few hours on day 3. The Free State roads - R26 inparticular wasn't in very good condition - potholes mainly - but easy on a bike.

Here we go!

Attachments

• EL - JHB - April 2012.gdb
    148.8 KB
So tomorrow night - the Duck for a few fairwells and ride safes , --------- who's this knucklehead Jr ?? please tell .  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :3some: