Donkeys first long adventure (75pics...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the donkey is back from Bavarian, R582 and 2 new fork seals later. Now just have to get to work fixing the panniers...

Very impressed with donkeys work ethic, whole trip averaged about 26km/l, even the stint over naudes neck with a few hours of 15-20km/h managed about 16km/l.

And Wino, Tulip has her own bike, its yellow (mandarin) and just went on a long trip. Time to get me wheels of my own  :eek:

It's on the list...

noble steed said:
Well the donkey is back from Bavarian, R582 and 2 new fork seals later. Now just have to get to work fixing the panniers...

Very impressed with donkeys work ethic, whole trip averaged about 26km/l, even the stint over naudes neck with a few hours of 15-20km/h managed about 16km/l.

And Wino, Tulip has her own bike, its yellow (mandarin) and just went on a long trip. Time to get me wheels of my own  :eek:

It's on the list...

Never would have guessed. Thanks for taking the time to put together such a stunning report.

Who are Tulips parents? I'm also from that part of the world and worked at Port Shepstone High School.
What did the fork seals cost you to be fixed? I need to do my TA soon.
Was that Tweni beach you were at? Used to catch a Blacktail for breakfast every morning possible. Nothing beats a live catch for breakfast.

Well done you two.

Sandalper said:
noble steed said:
Well the donkey is back from Bavarian, R582 and 2 new fork seals later.

What did the fork seals cost you to be fixed? I need to do my TA soon.

The fork Seals cost... R582. Of which about R308 was labour. Seals themselves R173 for both. The rest was fork oil. And engine cleaner.

You are correct, it is Tweni beach. Didn't try any fishing though.

Tulip and her parents originally from George, only been in Port shepstone a few months

WOW - This is what it's all about
The story, the trip, the experience and spending time together. Really excellent

I can really reccommend a large feather in your caps  ;D ;D
Have experienced yourselves taking part in RDR's newbie ride from Hell a few months back to this - WELL DONE !!

Thanks for the report and I enjoyed reading it  :)

Plothond said:
WOW - This is what it's all about
The story, the trip, the experience and spending time together. Really excellent

I can really reccommend a large feather in your caps  ;D ;D
Have experienced yourselves taking part in RDR's newbie ride from Hell a few months back to this - WELL DONE !!

Thanks for the report and I enjoyed reading it  :)

+1000.  :thumleft:

Touring 2 up on the 650.....

Lets hear it for the outdated thumper!!!!!  :hello2: :hello2:
Great report and pics..awesome way to spend your holiday.

thanx for sharing.

GR8 Report!!!!!

Thanks for Sharing with us
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi All

I AM SO PROUD OF MY HUSBAND, HE IS AN EXCELLENT RIDER WITH GREAT SKILL AND PERSEVERANCE. I AM WOWED, IMPRESSED, PROUD AND VERY EXCITED ABOUT OUR FUTURE RIDING ADVENTURES!

Glad you all enjoy the photos  ;D - it is not easy when you have to unglove, unzip, etc for the second it takes to take the photo - BUT it is great to have all those photos (650) to look through and enjoy the memories!  For those of you that has gotten lazy  ::) lift those buts off those comfy seats and get snapping, you will not regret it!

Some of my memories:

It was a great everlasting adventure!  We had so much fun, such interesting events and I am even more in love with my husband  :love4:

Wednesday before departure:
NS had to take Donkey to Chain Tech for a new chain and sprocket.  The sprocket was so bad you could hardly reverse.  NS almost did not make it to ChainTech because off all the emergencies that streamed into the practice before lunch time  ???  Got new sprocket & chain after late departure, golden chain looking rather smart with mandarin  :D

Thursday before departure
Took Donkey to Bavarian for pre -20 000km service!  Good decision!
I must admit that when we picked up donkey I was so happy to see him I just wanted to hug him  :D  :D Ya, I know pretty strange. . . but I didn't embarrass NS and just gave donkey a good old pat (or 3).

Saterday/departure day
Could hardly sleep from excitement, could hardly wake up  :sleepy5:  It was a good ride, cross winds not too nice, creepy cold after 16h00 not nice at all.  Wish I could hear NS sing, he is most creative with words, must invest in some communication system.  Kept myself focused by moving each finger (also to make sure they are each still there 'cause I just couldnt feel them), and slowly blowing into my WD buff to create some warmer air in my helmet.  NS drove the Golden gate corners in the dark  :love7: wow, that itself was quite an experience!  Our tent is like a dream come true: easy to erect, warm inside, spacious for all the lugage/goodies and red!  Tuna mate & OBS made for good supper.  Had a good sleep, unlike all the other campers whom was complaining the next morning  ;D

Sunday
Jigg  :angry6:, still on tar  :'( missing the gravel we dreamed about, and planned for weeks.  Very, very windy still.  Went through some interesting small towns, ate a good meal - with only one glove off. Electric blanket  :thumbsup: Good company with the aunt & uncle.  Had many bike stories with the uncle, our last visit he took me for a ride at 250km/hr  O0 not my scene anymore, cant think how you can want anything else than a GS / dual sport bike  ???

Monday
Eating like royalty - our aunt calls us the "velcro couple", so I think she has a special place for us  ;D  Went for lovely ride on farm: between cows, over river beds, over huge grass bolle, in tractor tracks, etc.  Did not take a photo of NS dropping donkey  :eek: got a bit of a fright and forgot I had the camera = Sorry I know you all enjoy a good photo.

Teusday
WHAT A DAY!!!

(will continue story when have time again)

Ace!!!

Thanks guys. reminds me just how fortunate we are living in this amazingly beautifull country

Your pics are truly amazing - clearly one trip that will stay with you always

Word up to that GS - she (he??) is a workhorse

Such a cool ride report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Latest posts