Dont you dare call me a scooter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman24

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So this is my 1974 Yamaha RS 100 T. This bike has a special place in my heart and we have walked a very long road together. I moved to Pretoria to do my masters in 2010 and not needing transport living in Cape town CBD I now needed something to get me to and from class at tuks. I only saved up enough money for my class fees so I had pocket change left to spend on a transport and the maintenance thereof.

I browsed gomboom and found this little guy for a bargain price in JHB. My good friend klomper, then living in JHB, went and picked her up and stored her at his place till i made the big trek. Somehow as a Cape Town bubble dweller knowing nothing of JHB and PTA I thought ill just pack this litlle guy with my stuff and ride from JHB to PTA no problem. Not knowing its not the easiest of commutes if you don't know where the hell you are or where you are going and especially on a 35 year old 100cc 2smoke. So i land at Lanseria and klomper picks me up and takes me to my new/old boney. We take about an hour to start her and all seems well. The next morning after a harde kuier i decide to take her for a spin and fill her up for the groot trek. I fill her up with R60 of petrol and about R40 of 2smoke and of i buzz. Cruising the local suburbs of jozi im having a blast and all of the sudden its puff puff dead. I start fiddling around but nothing works. As I stand in the suburbs my Cape town paranoia kicks in and I start thinking this is the shit you hear of in Cape Town "Broke ass student's bike breaks down and gets raped on the pavement of JHB Suburban street". So i start pushing for all I'm worth in the direction i think is klomper's house in Foreways. Its up the first hills and my smokers lungs and the previous nights shenanigans catch up with me and i stop for a smoke break.  

So i continue to push this guy around and run out of puff. I park her off next to the road and sommer want to farkoff straight back to cape town im so gatvol. An ADT bakkie pulls up next to me and asks if I'm alright, I tell him i haven't been raped yet and ask him if i can load the bike on his bakkie. He says i cant because his boss might see it and he can get fired. R50 gets my bike on the back of the bakkie and i have to sit on the bike because there are no straps to tie the thing down. I tell him to take it slowly and follow my "directions" because i mos know where i'm going. So he pulls off with a farking moerse speed and i hit full breaks to stop me falling off.

We drive around and i start recognizing the area and shout to the driver to stop here, this must be william nichol. We offload the bike and after many a thanks he drives off just for me to realize this is not william nichol and i have to push up these damn long hills again. I start pushing and 2 long hills further i hit william nichol by the grace of god and cross the busy street without being trapped by a taxi. From there it was downhill to klompers house. I stop at the house drenched in sweat and totally gatvol.

I climb on the phone and start calling Yamaha mechanics left right and center to no avail. Finally a Yamaha agent said he can recommend Recardo, a veteran Yamaha mechanic who can sort out the bike. Now how am i going to get this bike from Four Ways all the way to Beyers Naude? Henk phones his cousin and like most wilddogs  Dirtrebel say no worries he will pick it up tomorrow and help me get it to the mechanic.

So this concludes my first day I had with this bike and the following 2 years weren't much different. I have decided to give her a complete overhaul as she deserves it. This weekend i will dismantle her and start posting pics. Each update will also contain a ridiculous adventure i had with her.

Cheers  

Attachments

• IMG00288-20120916-1226.jpg
    IMG00288-20120916-1226.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 329