DR650:LANGEBAAN TO BASHEWA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I picked up Porky (DR650) at Syd's place on Wednesday and the two of us slept over at Frankie's spot, Langebaan. Thursday the ride snaked via Hopefield, Riebeek Wes, Riebeeck Kasteel, Ceres, Theronsbergpas to Touwsrivier. Rain from Riebeeck Wes without reën-protection. Day 1 ended at Beaufort Wes. The ride was truly a breeze.
Day two was chillies through to Colesberg. Day warm up somewhat and I hit Brandfort as my destination.
Day three was a lekka cruise to Bashewa... eastish Pretoria. Gwen kakkies.
Reason for tar road is that Std supplied me with a new head bearing. This must be fitted straight away. The head bearing progressively deteriorated.

Attachments

• 20230420_095449.jpg
    20230420_095449.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230422_074942.jpg
    20230422_074942.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230422_075010.jpg
    20230422_075010.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230422-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230422-WA0009.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20230422-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20230422-WA0017.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi Ri or anyone else in the know. The clutch safety switch for start up surprised me. My 'know nothing of bikes' shone through. But tell me, can the cluth with regards to the gearbox per se be adjusted for 2-fingers clutch control whilst riding??

Hi Ri or anyone else in the know. The clutch safety switch for start up surprised me. My 'know nothing of bikes' shone through. But tell me, can the cluth with regards to the gearbox per se be adjusted for 2-fingers clutch control whilst riding??
We just all need to club together to get some of those 2 finger levers that can adjust.

Reactions: Ri
I'm heading out to Alpha Performance today anyway. I'll ask them about how to adjust the clutch lever.

Meanwhile you can watch here. .

I hope this helps.

We just all need to club together to get some of those 2 finger levers that can adjust.
I just trimmed my levers for two-finger action… Don’t know if the expensive aftermarket levers make the action any easier…?

And, @Kokdjembe , get rid of that switch on the clutch asap - and the cut-out switch on the side stand. Anyway, good to see you on a DR. When I met you at the WARR bash last year you were on a Africa Twin if I recall …

I just trimmed my levers for two-finger action… Don’t know if the expensive aftermarket levers make the action any easier…?

And, @Kokdjembe , get rid of that switch on the clutch asap - and the cut-out switch on the side stand. Anyway, good to see you on a DR. When I met you at the WARR bash last year you were on a Africa Twin if I recall …
Yes Ruffian I am on three bikes now. The AT, the DR and a WR450F. The advice from so many at the WARR settled into my skull. So depending on the terrain I decide on the bike. WR mainly for skills development and 'kakkies' stuff. 👍👍

Not a good idea. My round ended short levers have banged onto my pinkies in some falls, because I'm too optimistic/stupid to "abandon ship" on the way down, and hang on till we hit rock bottom.I don't want to imagine the damage a sheared off gear lever will do 🫣

Probably the reason you aren't allowed to participate in races with damaged levers.

I'm also surprised the switch wasn't bypassed already. I've never bought a DR that had a working side stand switch. So I had the same surprise with my KLX.

Yes please, mine are looking tatty, and I want a set for the KLX as well.

Not a good idea. My round ended short levers have banged onto my pinkies in some falls, because I'm too optimistic/stupid to "abandon ship" on the way down, and hang on till we hit rock bottom.I don't want to imagine the damage a sheared off gear lever will do 🫣

Probably the reason you aren't allowed to participate in races with damaged levers.

I'm also surprised the switch wasn't bypassed already. I've never bought a DR that had a working side stand switch. So I had the same surprise with my KLX.

Yes please, mine are looking tatty, and I want a set for the KLX as well.
To be fair, the DR650 I got also still has the sidestand and clutch switches active. Project for me once I have an open weekend.

To be fair, the DR650 I got also still has the sidestand and clutch switches active. Project for me once I have an open weekend.

As long as you keep this in mind if you accidentally drop the bike and it won't start again, despite nothing obvious being wrong.

My killswitch got stuck in the kill position once, took a while to figure out and get it unstuck, by which time I was almost hysterical and ready to try break apart the whole switch assembly. This was after I had to macgyver a broken handlebar, resilience was low 😅

I haven't done the kill switch mod.... yet. Not sure if I want to. I did not think anything could go wrong there.

I haven't done the kill switch mod.... yet. Not sure if I want to. I did not think anything could go wrong there.

I don't know about a killswitch mod. These days I don't touch the killswitch, I switch on and off using the keys. Dirt gets in the switch (if you fall a lot like me) which makes stick. It's easy to unstick though - it's not solid, it's open at the bottom, you can wiggle a blade in there and persuade it to pop out.

I have pulled away with sidestand still down once or twice, so side stand switch has merit.

I don't know about a killswitch mod. These days I don't touch the killswitch, I switch on and off using the keys. Dirt gets in the switch (if you fall a lot like me) which makes stick. It's easy to unstick though - it's not solid, it's open at the bottom, you can wiggle a blade in there and persuade it to pop out.

I have pulled away with sidestand still down once or twice, so side stand switch has merit.
The video I linked above shows how to do the mod. Basically takes away the 2 position spring action (in and out) and just makes it a push button that always stays out. Might be a good mod for you by the sound of it :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: Ri
I picked up Porky (DR650) at Syd's place on Wednesday and the two of us slept over at Frankie's spot, Langebaan. Thursday the ride snaked via Hopefield, Riebeek Wes, Riebeeck Kasteel, Ceres, Theronsbergpas to Touwsrivier. Rain from Riebeeck Wes without reën-protection. Day 1 ended at Beaufort Wes. The ride was truly a breeze.
Day two was chillies through to Colesberg. Day warm up somewhat and I hit Brandfort as my destination.
Day three was a lekka cruise to Bashewa... eastish Pretoria. Gwen kakkies.
Reason for tar road is that Std supplied me with a new head bearing. This must be fitted straight away. The head bearing progressively deteriorated.
Hi there Kokdjembe, please tell me, what rack/ carrier are you using/ fitted to Porky?