Dullstroom 7 - 9 Nov RR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eben.E

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
We decided to go to Dullstroom for the weekend. We were 4 couples, 3 with bikes and 1 with an cage. We left Midrand round 3pm and took th N4 via the N12. We stopped at Alzu to refuel and then turned off to Belfast towards Dullstroom. As we turned off we hit the mist. The mist was so thick I could hardly see my front wheel. We eventually made it to our accommodation safely after a few interesting moments. One of those were the dirt road we rode on to get to the lodge curved to the right, but because it was so misty I nearly drove through a fence dead ahead of me. Anyways, wewoke up early bells the next morning, had breakfast and shot through to Dulstroom "CBD" and had on last coffee before we headed off.

Attachments

• IMG_4780.JPG
    IMG_4780.JPG
    382.5 KB
  • IMG_4768.JPG
    IMG_4768.JPG
    356.5 KB
So we left Dullstroom "CBD" towards Lydenburg as our ultimate goal was to do Longtom Pass. We decided to take the scenic route which was about  3.3km from from the coffee shop we were at. We turned right off the R540 and immediately knew we were in for an interesting couple of km's.

Attachments

• IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    321.3 KB
  • IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4794.JPG
    326.8 KB
  • IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    276.9 KB
Considering we were newbies to riding, had pillions riding with, we had slick tyres on and the previous night it was pissing down with rain, this route was quite challenging for us - except for Sias on the KTM, he just took everything in his stride.

Attachments

• IMG_4834.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG
    465.5 KB
  • IMG_4854.JPG
    IMG_4854.JPG
    268.5 KB
  • IMG_4824.JPG
    IMG_4824.JPG
    323.2 KB
  • IMG_4806_1.jpg
    IMG_4806_1.jpg
    356.8 KB
  • IMG_4805_1.jpg
    IMG_4805_1.jpg
    307.1 KB
We stopped at one point at a spectacular view. If it wasn't for my wife shouting in my ear we would have driven right past this waterfall which to me, is the best moment of the trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4855.JPG
    IMG_4855.JPG
    346.9 KB
  • IMG_4862.JPG
    IMG_4862.JPG
    311.1 KB
  • IMG_4864.JPG
    IMG_4864.JPG
    246 KB
  • IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    339 KB
Nice one, thanks for sharing with us. IMO Seattle has the best coffee in Dullstroom. Can you share the GPS coord's of the waterfall?

Jors Troelie said:
Nice one, thanks for sharing with us. IMO Seattle has the best coffee in Dullstroom. Can you share the GPS coord's of the waterfall?

Jors, none of us had a gps with us. From the coffee shop the turn to the right is +/-3.3km. Just follow the road and have a look out for falls to you left. It is shortly before the T-junction.

Have more photos but awaiting the mrs to finish the touch ups.

great photo,s must have been a great ride thank u for sharing

Thank you for sharing , there are so many nice roads in that area !! :thumleft:

Hi Jors, I got the GPS points for that waterfall if you are still interested.

25°23'2"S
30°12'39"E

Have a look but it seems fairly accurate.

From this view point we headed off again with Johann leading the pack. We came towards a "slightly moist" section, thought nothing of it and drove as per normal. Suddenly Johann's bike started dancing around like it was auditioning for Americas got talent'. I burst out laughing as it was quite a site to see. However the bike turned 90 degrees to its left and decide to have a nap right there and then. Johann must have been quite embarresed or his GF must of given him tremendous uphill because by the time I got to him to assist him with picking up the 1200 it was back on its wheels again. Couldn't even get a photo of this!

Anyways, we got to the T junction and turned left where we immediately stopped again and took some more photos and where we had another chuckle and Johann's slip and slide. As you would know, Karma is a bitch! We drove up an hill and my wife told me she wanted to take photos of us coming back up hill again. So duly we drove down again. I was about 3/4 down when my road slick slipped down the middle mannetjie into a rut where there were some big boulders. I tried to steer away and this was just too much for my riding ability and my tyres and I cam off hard!

Attachments

• IMG_4902.JPG
    IMG_4902.JPG
    348.8 KB
  • IMG_4903.JPG
    IMG_4903.JPG
    270.4 KB
:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Needless to say but Johann had his own "silent" revenge and had a chuckle to himself!

Attachments

• IMG_4955.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg
    386 KB
:thumleft:
Ek dink jy het die regte "attitude" en is n goeie adventure bike ryer Eben .  Sort net jou tyres uit. Pad tyres is net moeilikheid soek
op sulke paaie. Adventure trip kan gou baie duur en seer raak. Verminder jou risiko's soveel wat jy kan.
:ricky:

Thanks Subie. Ek weet ek moet daai tyres verander. Ek het klaar vir Kersfees vader 'n brief geskryf. On wag maar om te kyk of hy vir my tyres bring!