Dumped the KTM in water - pistons swimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after a really dissapointing day yesterday with fellow riders (dont they make real men down here in the Cape? I am starting to be convinced - flame later), I went as a last treat to the flooded area that is hugged by the onramp to the N7 at Plattekloof.

Hilde and I had an unbelievably beautiful (just perfect weather and insane beauty) on the Steenbras ride, and it was fun way to end the day was to nail the water in 1st and 2nd, engine at 7000-8000 rpms, and ride through the large body of water.

It was going great guns. The engine temps dropped down to 2 (normal is 4), even though I was spinning the engine like that, and I would have to wait for it to warm up again before repeating. We were soaked.

At one stage, I was going slideways through the water due to mud and speed, and the front washed. It was knee deep water mostly. With Hilde on the back, I just couldnt hold the bike. My leg out to support the bike just slipped in the mush and it landed, running, in the water on its side.

The bike was pretty submerged.

I tried to start it 6 times. Just a click and a "trying" painful noise from starter. Ouch. :shock:

Call to Alan, (thanks Al for phoning me back on vodacom), and who then phoned Jimmy (all helpful 950 riders :wink: ) - who then phoned me, and came to pick me up with his....... BMW. bwahahaha. On goes the bike to the trailer, snap one tie down, and get it done properly with some seat belt webbing.

THANK YOU JIMMY AND ALAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it to Hildes place, and start stripping it. This is what came off:

1) Crashbars
2) Tanks
3) Glove Compartment
4) Fairing
5) Airbox cover and snorkle
6) Airfilter (sandy and WET), and trumpets and Carburettors.
7) Sparkplugs

I noticed that the valves were swimming in a green liquid. Turned out to be petrol. Is that ok?

I then started her. Water shot out so hard, it wet the garage roof and door :shock: (and a lot!).

I dried everything, even stuck a hairdryer into the ports of the bike, and was VERY concerned about sand which appeared to sticking to valves. I wiped them carefully with a clean new cloth and an extension, just seemed to be deposits. (Remember that its nite time and with an overhead light and head lamp).

I ran the fuel pump with the tank on (so as not to burn out fuel pump) and pumped the fuel into a 2l coke bottle. A lot of foamy stuff (water and fuel mixed?) came out. I did it for some time, to make sure. Redried. Reassembled.

The bike now turned over with the sparkplugs in, and the valves appeared to be okay (not bent).(not visually anyhow). But didnt start. I dried sparkplugs, even put wd40 on the spark connectors to ensure an ignition point and drive out moisture) and yet it didnt start. Turned over healthily, but ran battery dead pretty quickly.

Questions for the experienced:

1) Whats the foamy stuff?
2) Is it okay?
3) What now?
4) Is it busted?
5) What can I do to start it?
6) Can I jump start the bike with leads to a car battery (in car, and running like normal car to car jump starting)
7) Anything I overlooked and can do?

I must add this was after a long day in the saddle and I finished late at night.

I didnt try this morning, thought I would ask first. I will also ask on OC.

Thanks for the help!!!!

ps: the exhausts were FILLED with water. When turning over the engine at the end, the exhausts were PUMPING out water. Enough to shoot out and hit the garage door which was now slightly closed.