Durban to Johannesburg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Awesome ride - 3 days.

Pic1 - Umhlanga 06h00
pic2- Inanda Dam
pic3- Valley of 1000 hills
pic4- Giants Castle
pic5- Somewhere in the Freestate
pic6+7 Normandie Pass
pic8- Draaihoek, Freestate
pic9- T-junction Villiers

OR-9.jpg

OR-7.jpg

OR-6.jpg

OR-5.jpg

OR-4.jpg

OR-3.jpg

OR-2.jpg

OR-1.jpg

OR-8.jpg

So please write something, did you ride the offroads from Durbs to JHb all on dirt, or was these pics stage for the ride and the
bikes went by back-up vehicle? :lol:

Great pics

Looks like fun!

How about some background on the trip :?:

Interesting photo's without a story line.
What amazes me is that you guys took 3 days to ride from Durban to Johannesburg. eerrrr.....most people do it within 6 to 7 hours, including the obligatory toilet stops, chat up the cops for speeding stops, toll gate stops.
Me thinks you guys spent too long at your pub stops.
Now the Draaihoek road looks interesting, that must be the Free State. Long lonely roads. Tell us more.

cono said:
Interesting photo's without a story line.
What amazes me is that you guys took 3 days to ride from Durban to Johannesburg. eerrrr.....most people do it within 6 to 7 hours,

They obviously took the scenic route :D Looks like a memorable trip.

Come now guys, some of you dissapoint me with comments like "staged" and "backup vehicle" and "pub stops" and "3 days" :lol:

Do you really think I would post something like this if we never did it properly?.........................lol. especially the pub stops, umf. lol.

Seriously, I never posted a related story for two reasons, first I wanted to see the interest and secondly the full story will appear in the upcoming TopBike magazine.

However I can tell you, we rode the entire route off-road, yes we got lost a few times, testing some tracks that looked like it would take us somewhere, but ended in a dead end up some forsaken track up a mountain or something.

And unfortunatly we did do about 150km on tar (all in all)
Day 1, we left Umhlanga and took us half the day to get through Inanda to the Inanda Dam, we slept at StoneHaven in Nottingham.

Day 2 took us towards the Drakensburg and eventually to Ladysmith, after a lenghty discussion and begging with the local TRAFFIC dept.

Day3 Mostly Freestate and fast open dirt road riding, toping speeds of 150km/h.

A Honda 250, Yamaha 450 and a Husaburg 550 -no incidents, no serious falls (except the Yammie in a river) which had to have the spark plug removed and drained. Changed the oil and back on the road.

Got home at about 22h00 on Friday night.