EC, WC, Freek and Horizontal man at the Sprinbok Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
So i left work on Friday to meet up with my buddies at the Springbok rally out side Oudtshoorn at the De Hoek camping site.

I got hammered by wind on the N2, sometimes barely keeping to 120km/h at full throttle. There was one hell of a big traffic jam on the N2 outside PE... about 15km long line a cars. I did a nice lane split maneuver and met up with an Midnight rally club member. We rode all the way together till Oudtshoorn.

Sprinbok.jpg

I was surprised by the good fuel economy my KLR returned... 16 km/l not bad for such an headwind.

I slept over at my folks place on Friday night.

The next morning i head out to the rally site. At the gate i was greeted by a couple of friendly men from the Nomads club.. they were extremely interested in my KLR.... i felt impressed..  :icon_biggrin:

At the campsite i met up with Riaan, Zollie, Bandit man, a man later known as Horizontal man, Freek and Generaal.

Generaal can be seen in this pic standing like a BMW rider..  gie gie gie
Sprinbok1.jpg

Sprinbok2.jpg

I piched my tent with some help from a babelas Generaal and we rode back to town again to go and look at the little model aeroplanes.

Sprinbok3.jpg

Sprinbok4.jpg

Sprinbok5.jpg

Then we rushed back to the campsite for the rugby. I was greeted by a beer in the hand Riaan standing next to a crashed Yamaha R6. I learned that our friend Mr Horizontal man slipped in some oil and sand on the road and he ran the R6 to the ground and into the barriers...  :crybaby2: :crybaby2: Luckily Horizontal man lived to tell the tale..  :icon_thumright: From the info i gathered another biker died on the same spot where Horizontal man crashed just hours before.  :crybaby2: :crybaby2: RIP my friend..  :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

Back at the campsite.
Sprinbok6.jpg

Sprinbok7.jpg

Sprinbok8.jpg

Zollie's tent...  gie gie gie
Sprinbok9.jpg

BikeSA forum camp  :notworthy:
Sprinbok10.jpg

Horizontal man's bike
Sprinbok11.jpg

Fun and games
Sprinbok12.jpg

Sprinbok13.jpg

View from my tent
Sprinbok14.jpg

Later that night we made a fire and sat and talked nonsense till late.
Sprinbok15.jpg

Captain Slow's artistic shots...  gie gie gie
Sprinbok16.jpg

Sprinbok17.jpg

I'm proud of my stickers.
Sprinbok18.jpg

Don't ask...  gie gie gie
Sprinbok19.jpg

Sprinbok20.jpg

I tried sleeping and really early the next morning i was woken by a very eager Riaan talking to his bike..  :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Riaan feeding Zollie magic potion to stay awake on the long road back to Cape town.
Sprinbok21.jpg

From what i heard Bandit man, and Zollie almost froze to death on their bikes on their way home.  gie gie gie

It was a really nice experience attending my first rally and i'll definitely go to the Springbok again next year and reall nice meeting all of you..  :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14:

I put on all my rain gear and rode back to PE. I rode in rain for about 100km and i was still very dry... luckily my cheap rain gear worked otherwise i would have froze too..  gie gie gie

Fuel stop in Joubertina
Sprinbok22.jpg

I absolutely love riding the Langkloof with the KLR, the road is narrow tight and bumpy... KLR heaven..  :notworthy: :notworthy:

My KLR hit 50 000kms on my way back to PE...  :notworthy: :notworthy:
Sprinbok23.jpg

Sprinbok24.jpg

Sprinbok25.jpg

My total mileage for the weekend 892kms.
Fuel consumtion 16km/l on my way to the Springbok and 18km/l on my way to PE.  :notworthy:

Great stuff!

BTW, Kaptein, did that AeroTrim deflector make a noticable difference on the open road?

Hoekom steek jou shocks bokant die triple clamp uit? Is jy so 'n kortgat?  >:D

Sprinbok23.jpg

Groenie said:

Sprinbok23.jpg

Jip ek is kort... check die fotos waar ek op die GSA sit... gaan dit nou nou post.  ;)

growweblaar said:
Great stuff!

BTW, Kaptein, did that AeroTrim deflector make a noticable difference on the open road?

I'm still waiting for my redesigned aerotrim.  ;)

Some more pics  gie gie gie

PICT0071_1_1Medium.jpg

PICT0072_2_1Medium.jpg

PICT0078_3_1Medium.jpg

PICT0079_4_1Medium.jpg

PICT0082_5_1Medium.jpg

PICT0083_6_1Medium.jpg

PICT0085_7_1Medium.jpg

PICT0089_8_1Medium.jpg

PICT0091_9_1Medium.jpg

PICT0092_10_1Medium.jpg

PICT0095_11_1Medium.jpg

PICT0096_12_1Medium.jpg

PICT0097_14_1Medium.jpg

PICT0099_13_1Medium.jpg

Goeie tye  :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14: :eek:ccasion14:

Captain Slow said:
Groenie said:

Jip ek is kort... check die fotos waar ek op die GSA sit... gaan dit nou nou post.  ;)

9/11 on

Ek het 'n tjommie van jou vandag raakgeloop. 'n Oke op nuwe ou KLR, sê sy naam is Uncle op die forums en jy het hom van die Wille Honne vertel. Ek het hom toe aangeraai om hier ook te join en sommer die KLR tech day by te woon.

9/11 off

Groenie said:
Captain Slow said:
Groenie said:

9/11 on

Ek het 'n tjommie van jou vandag raakgeloop. 'n Oke op nuwe ou KLR, sê sy naam is Uncle op die forums en jy het hom van die Wille Honne vertel. Ek het hom toe aangeraai om hier ook te join en sommer die KLR tech day by te woon.

9/11 off

Kwaai... ek het baie tjommies wat ek nog nooit ontmoed het nie...  :D maar ek ken vir Uncle van BikeSA af..

Latest posts