Every week should start like this..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
I got myself a new phone which is supposed to have a kick-ass camera so I thought I go for a ride to test out the camera. There’s a field about 500m from my house where I ride from time to time. Strictly speaking it’s not legal but it seems that the cops are turning a blind eye to this. I was hoping that’s the case as I once had to outrun a cop here….

I rode here last week and it was still very wet but since it hasn’t rained for the last week or so and we even had the odd day of sweltering temperatures (14.5 degrees last week) the conditions were just right. Most of the time it was fairly dry but with the odd patch of slimy mud to keep you on your toes.

First area I played around had some gravel dumps which was fun though very taxing on the AT’s suspension.
Photo0013.jpg

Photo0015.jpg

AT ready for action
Photo0016.jpg

I played around on the dumps for a while as well as some other “hills” which run parallel to the road. They really are quite steep so it’s fun to ride up and down one and then immediately up and down the other. Just make sure you approach it on the right line otherwise you loose traction on the grass which makes it quite difficult to get to the top – see the track to the right of the main track..

Photo0048.jpg

This is the tricky one as it’s a bit higher and very steep.
Photo0049.jpg

At another corner is a dam with a track which runs through some woods. This stretch is always wet and always very slippery and the track has worn away quite badly in the middle which makes it difficult, if not impossible to bypass the water as you end up slipping into the middle anyway. I rode it last week and the bike got seriously dirty so I gave it a skip today.

Photo0030.jpg

Photo0032.jpg

My ContiEscapes keep on impressing me – not a bad footprint for a DS tyre.
Photo0028.jpg

AT playing hide and seek in the woods.
Photo0035.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

Still a handsome beast if you ask me.
Photo0036.jpg

Then it was on to the main field. This area used to have only a couple of single tracks like this. BTW, this photo was taken shortly after I got the bike in 2005. The abuse started immediately…..
DSC00454.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

Now it looks like a bit of waste land with all the bushes gone and huge parts of the grass too.
Photo0041.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

The guys with the plastic bikes did build some small ramps which is huge fun even with the AT. I had to stick to the smaller one today as I was worried that I might end up in the water. Just don't go for the one in the middle unless you carry enough speed to ramp over the ditch at the top..
Photo0022-1.jpg

Some more tracks. I was able to get up a decent speed on the open sections, but with the AT’s rear shock past it’s best and the ground still slippery in places I kept it down this time.
Photo0024.jpg

I played around in the muddy sections to test the ContiEscapes. They really did me proud though when they look like this…..
Photo0046.jpg

……the outcome is bound to be this.
Photo0043.jpg

Fortunately I managed to stay on top but it did get the juices flowing rather briskly.

After an hour of fooling around it was time to head home. Thought about washing the bike but decided to leave it till tomorrow – just in case I get another urge to go play.
Photo0050.jpg

Nice one Lootcha! Thanks for sharing.

You are right - that AT remains (and always will be) one purdy sexy beast! - Glad you got it sorted again!  :thumleft:

Lootch67 said:
I got myself a new phone which is supposed to have a kick-ass camera so I thought I go for a ride to test out the camera.

Quick....what will you buy next that will neccesitate a "  thought I go for a ride to test out the....."  ;D

I was wondering where the hell you lived that it was so green and wet, ceratinly o the Cape. Then i checked your avatar.

Surprised you can still find those places, good for you.

Beserker said:
Lootch67 said:
I got myself a new phone which is supposed to have a kick-ass camera so I thought I go for a ride to test out the camera.

Quick....what will you buy next that will neccesitate a "  thought I go for a ride to test out the....."  ;D

A new pair of socks? ;D I'm really not picky when it comes to excuses for a ride.

Fidel said:

I am a bit spoilt, even if it is with a field which is not well policed...

Fidel said:
I was wondering where the hell you lived that it was so green and wet, ceratinly o the Cape. Then i checked your avatar.

also some serious locking methods utilised  :peepwall:

Your kick-ass camera-phone is certainly doing the job very well :thumleft: Thanks for showing us some of the UK's wild sides ;D

Nice pics, Lootch.

Are there a lot of areas in the UK where you can go ride the dirt without the police bothering you?

Unfortunately not. (I am talking about the London area) There are a number of "BOAT"s (Byways Open to All Traffic) but a lot of them have in recent years been closed to vehicles. Most of these BOATs aren't very long either - maybe a mile at a time which means you have to plan your route very well so that you can link a number of them to have any decent ride but you'll still end up riding mostly tar. If you're prepared to go down to Salisbury Plain it's a slightly different story with loads more lanes but there are serious speed limits in place (30mph) and they're enforced! Yes, the Nanny State has taken over.. :'(