F800GS test ride.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
F800GS test ride  by Hein aka Captain Slow

So Saturday morning I pitch up early at Continental BMW in PE for my test ride with the F800GS. I get off my bike all excited and GreenMamba surprises me with a visit. Next to pitch up was Wolweseun on his F800GS and then ECTrax stumbled in. Looks like everyone was interested in the propeller blade brand.
I signed the forms, had some coffee and had a look at the other bikes standing around. My test bike arrived and GreenMamba hijacked it and I actually had to pull him of the bike.

After getting Wolweseun to focus on what we came to do, actually riding the two 800s. Wolweseun was drooling over the new G450X parked on the showroom floor. We got on the road. I was immediately stunned by how good the suspension felt. I tried to focus on the feel of the seat as this was the biggest complaint I heard over the last few weeks. We rode out of PE onto the N2. I was on the lookout for speed traps. 60 km/h markings everywhere. The throttle sensitivity was another complaint I heard from other test riders over the last few weeks so I played with the throttle as much as possible before we went onto dirt. We reached the Kinkelbos turnoff. Stopped for a quick chat and I was amazed by the road abilities of the bike. I expected it to be uncomfortable, but surprisingly it was not. The seat worked well on the road. The suspension made the bumpy N2 past Colchester feel very smooth. One complaint I had was the very hard hand grips. Its feels like holding onto metal. Luckily I hear there are aftermarket grip pads one can put over the grips. So all is good.

I chose the Kinkelbos road because it has almost everything a gravel road can through at you. Fast sections, lots of sinkplaat, potholes, marbles, sand in turns, sand in straights it even has a bit of twee spoor. Going  onto gravel I heard many wise people say â??Turn of the ABSâ? so I did. So I hit the gravel. The bike was shod with Bridgestone Battlewings total road tyres IMHO. I expected it to be slippery. It was not!! I went slowly at first trying to get a feel for the road tyres. Then I started playing with the throttle, I stood most of the way. I now know why one should stand, â??Because it works!!!â? Standing makes the riding so much better. Easy to control from the standing position, one can even see better. Playing with the throttle around corners was lotsa fun. Soon my speed picked up and I was power sliding the bike into corners. It handles so nicely. Every corner puts a huge grin on your face. Approach the corner, select correct gear, stand on pegs, get the correct line, weigh the outside peg and gas it...... Jeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa instant happiness. Grin Grin Grin.

I had a little â??poehol vreet die seatâ? moment too. Wolweseun passed me to take a picture. I dropped back a bit to give him time to set up camera. There was a zig zag turn in the road. I was checking out the animals or something. Wham I see the turn approach. I see sand, thick sand. Got on the rear brake, dropped to second, dunno why but I kept the clutch in, the rear locked up badly, bike started to go sideways, I was thinking fuck I donâ??t want to crash the test bike, I released the rear brake instinctively, let go of the clutch and gave way to much throttle. The above all happened in about two seconds. On the throttle I went way sideways I could feel the thick sand. Guess what happened next? The bike pulled straight and the turn was completed beautifully. I tried to put the above in writing to explain just how forgiving the bike really is. I was an idiot and it saved me. The sound coming through the turn was awesome. If I were on my bike I would have possibly been down. I stopped where Wolweseun was parked with the camera and he just laughed as I told him the story.

After riding some way on the gravel I noticed I was becoming tired so I slowed down a bit. The guys from African Enduro passed us. There were lots of them. Could not count. Maybe 50? We went onto the little twee spoor gravel road and I noticed how well spaced the gearing is. Second gear works really well in the slow stuff. Standing and controlling the bike over the slow stuff was really easy. Here the throttle was a little bit too sensitive for my liking.

Getting back on the tar road I felt sad knowing that I will have to wait a couple of months before I could ride this bike on gravel. Time was not on our side and I had to have the bike back by 12:30. We stopped for a pie next to the road and some fuel. We rode way to fast back home. All I can say is it handles like a superbike on road. More than enough power, good brakes, wind protection is good for my height.

We arrived back at Continental at 12:25. 5 Minutes to spare. I could not wipe the smile of my face. Thanks to the guys at Continental for the great service. My order will be placed soon. Thanks to Wolweseun for riding with.  :thumleft:

Advantages:
â?¢ Great brakes (adjustable feel lever with ABS)
â?¢ Lots of power
â?¢ Even torque rite through the rev range
â?¢ Great suspension
â?¢ Great on and off road handling
â?¢ Wind protection good
â?¢ Fuel consumption and range is excellent
â?¢ Like the gauges and computer

Disadvantages:
â?¢ Seat could be softer but still feels good
â?¢ Grips are too thin and hard
â?¢ Throttle to sensitive but will get used to it
â?¢ Brake fluid bottle
â?¢ Side stand looks and feels crap

Conclusion:
Excellent bike for my specific needs. I need a bike with power and speed. Suitable for short trips and lots of off-road ability. I need to get to the gym. Not a good idea to ride the 800 if unfit. It will eat you up and spit you out. Great bike.

Some pictures of the ride, more to come from Wolweseunâ??s camera.

GreenMamba hijacking the test bike.

Pic.jpg

Fuel stop.

Pic1.jpg

Windgat!!

Pic2.jpg

At the Kinkelbos turnoff.

Pic3.jpg

Gravel ja!!!

Pic4.jpg

Wolweseunâ??s pimped model.

Pic5.jpg

Check that road tire.

Pic6.jpg

Twee spoor.

Pic7.jpg

They make a beautiful pic.

Pic8.jpg

Good bye gravelâ?¦. Sad

Pic9.jpg

Better head back to hand her back.

Pic10.jpg

Nanaga.

Pic11.jpg

Fuel stop.

Pic12.jpg

So Jacko can I have a job. LoL

Nice one Cappie and good to see you had a lekka ridding partner with you to take some pics too!!!  :ricky: :ricky:

I loved the demo that Redtiger and I did on the 800 & 1200 GS's we had just as much fun and I understand your grin factor 100%!!!    :drif: :ricky:

Can't wait to see the other pics!  :thumleft:

Nice report , this bike is growing on me. Now I must just get past Swambo, not at all an easy task. ;D
Cappie I see you blocked that poor oke on his Harley in the one pic >:D

Fenderbender said:
Nice report , this bike is growing on me. Now I must just get past Swambo, not at all an easy task. ;D
Cappie I see you blocked that poor oke on his Harley in the one pic >:D

Ja the f*cking gay parade was there again.... looks like their membership is increasing...

I hope you people read the writing.... it took me almost two hours to complete... ;D

Some more

Attachments

• IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    70.4 KB
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    69.9 KB
  • IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    58.6 KB
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    58.1 KB
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    58.9 KB
+1

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    62.2 KB
We passed all The Enduro Africa Riders and I assume it was the Princes ahead of this car with the camera man

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    75.9 KB
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    67.9 KB
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    73.2 KB
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    69.9 KB
Captain I'm impressed with how well you look on that bike. From the pics it looks as if you can easily get both your feet flat on the ground while sitting, is that right?

Anywayz, good luck on getting one.

2 more
Unfortunately my camera is a little farked after dropping it the other day and some pics came out very bad

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    80 KB
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    112.7 KB
nice report. I got one on my birthday (its the only one I can remember feeling like a little boy again).

I love the bike, not trying to sound biased. But for me there is no better all round bike for what I need it for!

Doing a 6 day ride through transkei during early NOV so will get a proper feel for the bike over long distance. Will post when I am back.

GO SHARKS!!!!

Great stuff Cappie.  :thumleft: Definitely worth the wait. Hope you get a Yellow one too!  :mwink:

KT-emmer707 said:
Lekker een Cappie
Nou gaan test ride n 990 :pot:
800 :) :angel5:
990 :biggrin: >:D

+1

Trailrider said:
Cappie's made his mind up... ;D

no mind is made up until you test them all..... >:D

Lekker report Cappie  :thumleft:

This bit is scary

Conclusion:
"Excellent bike for my specific needs. I need a bike with power and speed. "

It will be the end of the Captain Slow era and we shall hail Captain Fast.

Viva  Kapitan Hein
Viva

LeonDude said:
Captain I'm impressed with how well you look on that bike. From the pics it looks as if you can easily get both your feet flat on the ground while sitting, is that right?

No ways bro.... i'm on my toe tips and you will see i only put one foot down. Shift arse off seat and get at least one foot down properly.  :thumleft:

CAPTAIN SLOW said:
LeonDude said:

No ways bro.... i'm on my toe tips.

Mmm. not good. You're going to have a tough time on technical stuff, not like riding the Funduro.

Still, remember to take a black one!