Fitting new, not fully compatible instrument cluster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eberhard

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Moto Guzzi (all models)
I had bought this scoota (Big Boy CGL 150) in 2008 solely for work/home commuting. A cheap, almost disposable machine for which I would not shed a tear if it damages. Besides being light on fuel (approximately 32km/l), it is also nimble and handles city traffic excellently.

After I had bought it I immediately fixed it. E.g. tightened all nuts, bolts and screws, replaced three or four inferior nuts and bolts and generally gave it a service. The agent NEVER worked on the bike. Nor any other mechanic. I regularly gave it good check-over, tightened whatever was a bit loose and replaced the oil at every 2000km. And I cannot be happier. It was a R6999 very well spent at the time I had bought it.

I am in no disillusion - it IS Chinese. The instrument panel slowly started to give up the ghost. At first I could fix it and it would work again (speedo and rev counter). Then the spring on the rev counter broke. Then the speedo finally stopped working. At that stage I was very familiar with the engine and did it not bother me too much. Then the lights indicating the gear positions started malfunctioning. That bothered me. Often in traffic my concentration is elsewhere and do I at times misjudge the gear I am in and it has put me in uncomfortable situations. So I went to the agent to buy a new instrument cluster. Unfortunately for that I am dependent on the agent.