Fixing a plastic fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS Jane

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A colleague's kid recently got a BigBoy pit bike.  Somewhere along it's life someone broke the filler neck off completely  :patch: :eek:
Making no promises that it will work, I offered to try and fix it.

Little bike with my machines  :biggrin:

Broken

Some Google searches revealed it might be made of 'PE' plastic (soft flexible).  One suggestion was to get some 'HDPE' plastic - indicated by a triangle with a 2 in the middle - the type of plastic used for bottles and containers containing chemicals.

Asked my local Plastilon, they only had the white/clear HDPE container - don't have a pic but it was a 5L can.

Pulled the tank off the bike, drained it of fuel (it get's hot using this fix, I would not suggest having fuel inside it).

Fitted the filler-neck back in, used 100 grit sandpaper to roughen the tank and neck.

I used my Dremel gas soldering iron to heat and melt the plastics together.

Using little strips of the plastic can, heated them evenly and melted the pieces together until they stick nicely.  The fuel tank smoked a bit on the inside.  The can's plastic went clear when it's hot and white when it cools down.  Black would have looked much neater but couldn't find any.

Finished product, back on the bike  ;D

Ready for delivery to a happy kid and a short, fuel-spill free ride.  :ricky: