Friends, family and noobs ride to Riebeeck Kasteel, Soulforge buys a plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
I had a new bike to shakedown, Karl hadn't taken his wife as pillion on a proper gravel ride yet, Soulforge hadn't been on dirt yet, Clyde (non-WD) had just bought an Africa Twin after owning a CBR 1000, and of course, the_priest was not about to let us ride without him. So it was decided that we would take an easy gravel ride to Riebeeck Kasteel and that non-pillon wives (and baby) would take the car and meet us there for brunch at Tujays.

This is the route we took, from Kraaifontein all the way to Riebeeck Kasteel, mostly gravel highways with little bursts of tar inbetween... (click here for the google map) It's an incredibly scenic route, and very easy so if you've never tasted dirt, or you're keen to introduce dirt to your pillion, I can recommend this ride as a starting point.

When we reached Tujays in Riebeeck Kasteel, we were faced with the sad truth that it had closed down. So, on John's recommendation, we headed down to DeJonge Cafe in town. The menu was limited, but the food was great.

After brunch we headed towards Malmesbury via gravel, without Clyde who had to shoot home. Coming into a corner (I was behind him), Soulforge realised too late that he was going to fast, grabbed a handful of brake, and high-sided. It was spectacular, and left me wishing I had a helmet cam. The XT was looking a little banged up, but still rideable. Soulforge was visibly shaken, but he was back on in no time and showed good form for the rest of the day (despite another, slower drop a couple of corners later). In fact, I was impressed with his pace and handling the whole day through...

Clyde had also almost overshot a corner earlier, but instead I watched him put his boot out and sort of powerslide the twin through. I think he's under the impression he's still on a superbike!

I had a good time on the Husky, but the day did reveal some niggles - the fuel consumption is horrible, which it shouldn't be, so I need to look into that. The speedo also under-reads, horribly. Saw 125 on the speedo and couldn't understand why I was holding on for dear life (150 on my phone's GPS)! Lot's of power though, me likey!

Here are the pics from the day...

dsc08794r.jpg

dsc08799.jpg

dsc08800.jpg

dsc08801.jpg

dsc08809l.jpg

dsc08814s.jpg

dsc08822f.jpg

dsc08832j.jpg

dsc08835w.jpg

dsc08840z.jpg

dsc08844.jpg

dsc08848j.jpg

dsc08869.jpg

dsc08879.jpg

dsc08881yi.jpg

dsc08889v.jpg

dsc08892r.jpg

dsc08897.jpg

dsc08898j.jpg

Thanks guys for a great day out.

I too was very impressed with Soulforge, he has only been riding for about a month and did really well  :thumleft:

And well done to my wife, who had a blast  :biggrin:

Hehe was lots of fun. Thanks for the fun guys.

Clyde did well for a twin with bald anakies on. I was surprised he made it through those 2 small sand patches.
Soul as well did excellent for his first time out. I think he topped 100km on the gravel at one point and made it through the sand with out blinking or dropping anchors. Hellva lot better than what I did first time out. :p

XT was fixed up this morning and cleaned. Damages include:

Wreck tank Shroud (Yamaha really made these out of CRAP plastic)
Ding on the tank near the shroud
Bent handlebar clamp bolts (but they one unit so all will need to be replaced, again another stupid design by Yamaha)
Grips
Left Mirror
Dash mounting (fixed with super glue for the time being)
Left front indicator

I couldn't help laughing my ass off when Soul wiped though. The fall broke his pants and when he stood up after the fall his pants where around his ankles almost.  :D

WANT TO GO AGAIN! so I can tame that damned corner...

Granted when the adrenaline wore off that night the war wounds started to sting somewhat but the only thing that stressed me was the wifes response to dinged bike, which I found out her opinion was "its an offroad bike, I was expecting falls" so thats all good.

I was bitterly dissapointed about tujays being closed, even though I had never been, as I had been taunted by the_priest about the apron engineers revenge which I'm still let down I wont get to have...sigh, at least the smoked chicken burger at the other place was pretty good :)

All in all was some serious fun, bring on the next one!

Not good to see a damaged XT ,
Hey Wes , that Husky looks shweet ! , nice to see you didnt fall for a change !

Andy660 said:
Not good to see a damaged XT ,
Hey Wes , that Husky looks shweet ! , nice to see you didnt fall for a change !

Yea I was surprise wes didn't go down to. :p

Speaking about damaged XT's, Soul might knock on your door Andy re the dash mount if you don't mind. Wes says you pretty handy with metal. ;)

It was actually quite a beautiful ride. Last time I did that reroute was in Jan with Andy and Wes after I had only been riding for a month. I was too busy trying to keep up to see anything.  :D

Wes, what tyres do you have on?

The Husky looks nice, congrats!

Kaboef said:
Wes, what tyres do you have on?

The Husky looks nice, congrats!

Thanks guy  :thumleft: Pirelli MT-21s

mrhyde said:
Riebeeck is without the "C" :)

I always make that mistake. I also always mispronounce "thesaurus". We can't all be perfect  :mwink:

the_priest said:
Yea I was surprise wes didn't go down to. :p

jou gat my skat  :lamer:

Mr. Python said:
Hey Wes,
You still gonna do it again in December as discussed at Kriegas Friday..

Falcon did about 8k's on dirt today and is feelin invincible...

not 100% sure yet but there's a strong possibility

Mr. Python said:
Hey Wes,

not 100% sure yet but there's a strong possibility
[/quote]

I'd be keen  :thumleft:

Mr. Python said:
Hey Wes,

:imaposer: This invincible bit is a gross exaggeration!!!!!!!!!!!!
My nerves were shattered but I was chuffed I stayed on. The grin was big  :biggrin: